Cyclocross Racing and Training

@NUGirl and @PaleGail maybe I can interest you in trying a cyclocross race (or two, or three)? We could meetup and you two are welcome to use my team’s warm big tent! These races are great, no pressure, no stress, lots of beginners and definitely all abilities in the Women’s 4/5 cat.

Oh wow! That sounds both fun and scary at the same time. My husband wants to know if I need a new bike. I told him definitely yes :wink:.

3 Likes

Well, having a gravel/cyclocross bike sure will make the experience better… if your bike is too heavy it will be hard to go over the hurdles. If you got a bike you could use it on gravel too- which opens new opportunities! There are so many fun events on gravel in IL, Michigan, etc, and we have some great trails in IL as you know (the DPRT is amazing). You could even buy a used one.

Did you watch the video of my very first race? I was sucking big time and people were screaming “you’re doing great!!” and I was just :joy:

Here is a post about CX bikes: What Kind of Bike Can I Use in a Cyclocross Race? — Cyclocross 101 - Cyclocross Magazine - Cyclocross and Gravel News, Races, Bikes, Media

Also- here is the website with all the info about the Chicago Cross Cup http://chicrosscup.com/ I think these races are closer to your home than they are to mine?

There is a relay race this weekend that is super fun and Drew and I are bummed we will miss it (we will be in WI).

1 Like

Ditto to @NUGirl !! @Coach_Theia my question(s) are when are we talking about, can i use my commuter hybrid instead of my road bike and maybe i should ride with the kids?!

And NUGIrl, you definitely need a new bike!

1 Like

@PaleGail a commuter bike might be too heavy, which makes it harder to pick up your bike to go over hurdles. Also, don’t know if this is your case, but flat pedals won’t allow you to go up some of the short steep hills, as you need to pull up as much as you push down on the pedals. Although I’ve seen several women on flat pedals last year.

There is always the option of renting a CX bike too if you want to test it first!

You are not allowed to ride with the kids. USAC rules-- you have to race your category. The Women 4/5 field is probably 80% beginners. Check out the video of my very first race and you can see the racers and the bikes they used: I narrate the race for the first 15 min

1 Like

@Coach_Theia i was kidding about the kids - more a reference about my skill level - maybe i should come check it out once and we figure out the bike and whether i can do it, etc. if @NUGirl can join us even for a meet up, awesome!!

I still have to look at the video but i’ll Show up and check it out at the very least!

Oh ooops sorry :rofl:

Yes, that’s a great idea! When you watch the video, pay attention to the woman wearing a light grey jersey- she is on flat pedals and she does great. There is even a woman wearing a skort! No one cares about what you wear, which bike you have, and how much you suck. That’s why it’s fun.

My team (Velosmith Bicycle Studio) has a tent at almost all events, and it’s a great place to hang out.

1 Like

Just out! Excellent episode of Fast Talk on all-things cyclocross, including:

"

• First, why cyclocross is so unique to the cycling world, and why comparing it to crits or time trials doesn’t do it justice.
  • Second, what assets you need to be a good ‘cross rider. Some of it is purely physiological like a good two to five-minute power, but there’s also more intangible things like resilience.
  • Few people race just ‘cross, so we’ll talk about how to balance multiple race seasons, and how to deal with what can end up being a long season as a result.
  • Fourth, we’ll explore the season a little deeper and talk about how both our experts like to periodize their training, and also how they address the short race season in cyclocross
  • We’ll explain the all-too-critical start position, and why that raises an important question when planning your season. Should you come into the ‘cross season hot?
  • We’ll spend some time talking about the technical side of cyclocross. A good engine is important, but if you’re losing 10 seconds in the corners every lap, even the biggest engine isn’t enough.
  • Next, we’ll discuss the training side of cyclocross and why the unique nature of the sport also requires a unique approach to training.
  • Finally, we’ll talk about ‘cross races themselves— race strategy, the importance of course inspection, and selecting your gear."

3 Likes

Not only am I racing cross this year, I am coaching a girls team. The girls (all middle school age) will mostly be riding mountain bikes as that’s what they have.
If you have a road bike- see if you can put 28 - 38 cm tires on.
Cyclocross is really a “run whatcha brung” and not be taken too seriously.
Some people race singlespeed and we even have a fat bike division.
Some cross races are more like grass crits where others get more technical. Non sanctioned races here have laps through the beer tent and rock bands playing.
Cross is mostly to have fun and to learn some handling skills.

2 Likes

Agree that cross is more laid back and definitely fun! People bring their kids to watch and heckle. How cool that your girls’ team is doing CX @Petals!!

I have been adding short jogs after rides twice a week. The goal is not to train to become a runner- but rather to get the body used to short runs/jogs that I will be doing during cross races. I have been doing 15 min on Tuesdays and Saturdays, right after my workouts/rides before the body cools off and goes into recovery mode. Let’s see if these will make a difference!

2 Likes

@Coach_Theia soon you’ll be doing swims as recoveries… I know how much you like swimming!! :rofl:

2 Likes

Swimming is wonderful! (Just not for me :rofl: I probably drowned in my prior life!)

2 Likes

First race of the year, first podium in Colorado (3rd place)! Strengths were the twisty stuff and anything downhill. Had to run my bike up the giant hill each lap, bunny hopped a small log but dismounted/flew over two telephone poles. Tried to grab second but got boxed out by a lapped rider :expressionless:

7 Likes

Congratulations @adm0629! Great start to to the season!

1 Like

Congrats Angie!!! I can see more podiums coming for you this season :tada::confetti_ball::tada:

1 Like

I did my first two races this year without being able to dismount and mount - i just made sure i was clear from other racers, got off and on my bike like i normally would. I then went to the park and practiced for two hours until i learned to dismount properly - I’ve now raced 5 races and my mounting back on is still hit or miss. If you’re Cat 4/5 you really arent expected to have this down yet. Hope you decided to give it a go, i’m having loads of fun.

2 Likes

Have you come up with a good one?! I haven’t even thought about it!

Congrats @adm0629!! Hope you do some more this season!! I have no idea about a costume yet… I might need to google it!

@Jenzar that’s fantastic! That’s how it all starts, it was the same with me also, and this year I am better than last year.

1 Like

Get started with 'cross - you can use a Mountain bike!

2 Likes