Cyclocross Season Updates - 2021 and a look back at 2019

I did my first cross race last night and had a blast! It was the last race of the p-town cross series and it was ladies night.
I got there early to register and also because I wanted to ride the course once to see how everything worked.
As I was getting ready to start my warm-up a guy parked next to me asked if I knew where to pin my number. I had no idea so he said he’ll show me and asked for my bib. I gave it to him and he crumbled it… I was like what are you doing?! I don’t like wrinkled bibs… and he said I needed to do that so it doesn’t flap while I’m racing :woman_shrugging:. Anyway I just thanked him and turned around to continue gearing up. I grabbed my camelback and the guy told me I don’t need to wear it. I told him that my MTB frame is too small and a water bottle doesn’t fit so he responded I don’t need water for a 40 min race… obviously I didn’t listen to his unsolicited advice and left for my warm-up with my camelback :smiling_face:.

I did 2 laps of the course as a warmup and was very happy to know that there was nothing crazy or scary. The only “technical” part for me was an off-camber hill that was muddy but because I was using my mountain bike with downhill tires I had tremendous grip so it was not a big deal. A lot of people on cross bikes had issues there and had to run up that section.

There were approx 20 women racing. We were all racing together and it was great fun. I think 7 of us were using mountain bikes so that was great, I didn’t feel out of place. The girls on cross bikes blasted off at the start and never saw them again. I was behind 2 girls on mountain bikes on the first lap but was able to pass one of them at the end of lap 3. I felt better and better after each lap and finished the race strong. I was even able to pass a few guys on a hill where there were 2 lines. Most guys were taking the A line which required getting off the bike and running up. I was using the B line which was longer but a little less steep and I was able to ride it all. It was still steep and I was putting around 300 watts for about a minute but it was much better than getting off my bike and carrying it up the hill. I got lots of compliments from people and even racers on that crazy hill :muscle:

I think racing cross is more suitable to my abilities and skills so I will definitely be doing a few more races this year and now I want a cross bike for Christmas :joy:

Here’s a little video of my race:

5 Likes

You look so pro @Covi and only your first race! Thanks for sharing the video, it was so much fun to watch!

YEAH @Covi!!! I knew you were going to love it!!! I am super excited that you want to do more races. Get a cross bike and you can also use it for gravel!!!

For the next races:

(1) do not crumble your number, that’s a noob advice, and also not correct. The officials around here will DQ you for doing that. You will learn how to pin your number- just do a youtube search. When you go to registration to get your number, ask them which side the number goes on.

(2) It’s true that you don’t need hydration. The race is very short, and you are supposed to be going all out with no time to reach for a bottle or camelback! I don’t bring hydration (no one does) and my Cat 3 races are 45 min long. The key is to hydrate well 2-3hs before. I drink 1-2 bottles of Skratch (one driving to the race and one while on site and during warm up).

2 Likes

@Covi what @Coach_Theia said :grin: lord knows I’m not an expert but I’ve now hung out at several cx races and the only time ive seen racers with hydration was the relay weekend where it was stinking hot and they had a chance to use it while their partner was racing a lap - I’ve not seen anyone in cat 4 or higher carry it on the bike - and I’ve not seen anyone crumple their bib number - making sure its visible is key - so ignore the boys who think they know more and Ride On you got this!!! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

You look great!

1 Like

It will be interesting racing without water … I usually drink lots of fluid during workouts, rides and MTB races. The only good thing is that at least it is chillier now and I definitely need less water but I still drank almost 1 liter in that 40 min cross race. Going forward, I will start hydrating before the race and see how that goes.
Glad to start learning the correct cross etiquette :grin: Now I just need the right bike to at least be in the mix.

3 Likes

@Coach_Theia. Congratulations!!

@Covi I also drink a TON of fluids, all the time in all temperatures (at least 750 ml per hour), but during a cross race I am going so hard and am so pegged, there is not even a thought about drinking anything. One thing I also do is to have a SaltStick fast chew before the race. Having said that, you can do whatever you want!! Bring a camelback of bottle if you want!!

@kellynoelharman thanks!

1 Like

@Covi you probably need to adjust your body to cx and hydration just like you do for indoor and MTB - maybe try the next race with just 1 water bottle not the camelback - unless the camelback half full is less weight? You need to find what works for you -
Mind you I’m not racing cx and as much as @Coach_Theia and those i know in the Chicago cx scene ask, i think I’m good just going and supporting - but that doesn’t mean i dont’ pay attention to some of the details you know in case i ever change my mind about racing it :laughing:

1 Like

I’m racing using a truck (MTB) compared to a cross bike so the weight is the least of my worries :rofl::rofl::rofl:. For the next race, I might just try to fit a small bottle in my frame and have it there just in case.

Had so much fun racing my second CX race last night. To be honest, the field in my category was not very competitive so I won and I was able to do 2 more laps than the second place. The juniors were also racing at the same time so at least I was able to keep myself motivated and pushed until the end.

The course was amazing. There were 2 sections of single track in the woods with logs used as obstacles. The first log was small and easy to go over it without dismounting. The second log was big but on a mountain bike was rideable. I did 2 laps of the course as a warmup and in the last lap on the second log my timing was wrong and I went over the bars :woman_facepalming:… thankfully nobody saw me so I got up and kept going to finish my warmup. I got a couple new bruises and neck whiplash but I didn’t feel any of that until this morning.

Once the race started I was still not very confident on going over that second log so I just thought if I’m hesitant once I get to that section I will just dismount and run over it but by the time the log came I felt good and I jumped it. I timed it so perfect that I was clearing it without even touching the log! So after I cleared it on the first race lap I just kept doing the same and finish the race without any other mishaps.

There are 5 races left for this season and I’m planning to race them all. I’m having so much fun that I can’t stop now.

6 Likes

Way to go @Covi!!! So glad you are enjoying yourself and doing so awesome! :star_struck:

Well, yesterday’s course was an even longer start, so I was able to light it up for the first 1.5 minutes and create a gap on the field and stay away the whole race! Once you draw your sword you have to commit to the effort all the way to the end!!

I’ve been practicing my starts: from a stop with one foot off the pedal and into the sprint.

7 Likes

Fantastic result well done @Coach_Theia! :muscle::raised_hands::clap::clap::clap::clap:

No costume for the race @Coach_Theia? Congratulations on the win!

1 Like

Awesome @Coach_Theia!!! Yeah how did you skip the costume? :rofl:

I didn’t skip the costume! I wore it in the 2nd race of the day, but have no pics of it…

1 Like

I will find someone that has pics @Coach_Theia :grin:

1 Like

Hmm I might’ve found this pic of @Coach_Theia @Stefanie

8 Likes

wait a second!! I was on that website a few hours ago and didn’t see that one :face_with_monocle: