Off Season - Things to do and think about

Hi coach! A question about yoga: as a 47yo woman, I have been told to do strenght training (weightlifting) to keep muscle and bone density. I wonder whether yoga can add or replace such training?

Hi @rochelag unfortunately yoga will not give the resistance training that is equivalent to lifting weights. In fact, nothing will replace that (HIIT, Cross-Fit, plyos, yoga, or pilates…).

I have done yoga for 15+ years, and for almost a decade I did it daily, all forms of it, so I am very familiar with yoga.

I also agree that weight training is very important as we age. I am also 47 :wink:

2 Likes

I came across this post from Mara Abbott in the topic of weight lifting. She was able to increase bone density in her spine by 10% after 12 months of weight training. She had a hip fracture at a young age and that was her wake up call. The key is to do it year-around though, and not only during the off-season.

4 Likes

Another fan of weight training here! I get in the gym and pick up heavy stuff at least twice a week and have done from the age of 47/48. It has certainly made me a stronger cyclist, but more importantly I know it is keeping me strong as I get older, I’m 54 this summer. I use yoga (well more natural movement really) for maintaining all round mobility. In my mind is that I don’t want to be one of those old ladies that fall (and can’t get up off the floor if they do!) so I need to be strong, fit and flexible enough for as long as possible to avoid that!

4 Likes

@Tracyligemagreen I’m so with you!! I dont want to be the old(er) lady that can’t get on the bus. I do strength training 2-4 times a week, I’m 56 and have been doing it consistently probably 4 years now. I actually find the harder i train on the bike, the more I need strength training So I dont undo building muscle mass.

2 Likes

Good for you @PaleGail, I’m always recommending my friends and many of my massage clients (especially the runners!) to get into some strength work :wink:

1 Like

I need to do better with getting in some weight training - it’s actually a goal this year - I enjoy it, not enough hours in the day!!

1 Like

I’m with you, @mpatton - just not enough time! I really wish it was something I didn’t have to go to the gym for…

1 Like

Me too! I always wonder how people fit in 2-4 days a week of strength training with 3-5 days a week of riding. Between that and work it doesn’t seem like there would be time for anything else.

2 Likes

Right now I have to focus on just a few things… I ride inside and outside, and I do core work. I have beaten my FOMO this fall and accepted I cant do everything. I have quit a lot of Zwift racing, structured workouts are of much greater value to me.

Before when I had more time i tried to do home strength training after riding, with TRX, kettlebells and weights I have at home. I will try to do that to get a basic workout and maybe I will have more capacity later in a few months. Its not possible for me to ride in the morning and do gym in the evening, it will have to be other way around… this regime also requires good sleep habits, so generally something has to go. I try not to beat my self up for not doing heavy lifting now. I try to be active in general, and thats what I can do now.

3 Likes

There will always be an “ideal” or “text book” combination of workouts, but in reality we are not professional athletes. It is indeed better to have a focused approach than to try to do everything and not do them well - or do them at the cost of important things such as sleep, time with loved ones, etc. It’s all a balance for sure.

Many of us already have a tendency to want to do it all, so we need to remind ourselves of our priorities.

6 Likes

Please forgive me for not tagging who said what but I read so mucg today and having “one of those days” and my head is mush.
Someone wrote their triathlete schedule today and someone also spoke of the FF and our bodies adapting to new activities, such as skiing.That really hit home today because I started “running” recent;y as well as strength training. I was supposed to do strength training today, a training run-walk and the recon ride on Zwift. UGH, and I’m so tired this week. (Our furnace broke and it’s 33 degrees in NYC today. I think I’m tired from being so cold. OK it’s not horrible, but cool in the house). I took a step back and realized I was asking too much. I have skipped my run-walk for today and decided to do these run-wa;l 2 x a week and let the adaption happen. I am enjoying the strength training and want to keep at it. But as we have all said, “there are only so many hours”. So, Thanks to everyone for making this a better day in the end than it started out being.

2 Likes

This year I have something I didn’t have in the past- TIME. My boys are grown and out of the house. I “retired” from my life as a pharmacist. I work part time at a bike shop. I coach a girls team.

One of the most important things I’ve learned to do during my off season is to write down my “what’s” and “whys”. What do I want to do and why. I do this through a pie chart including all areas of my life - physical, mental, social,financial, emotional and spiritual. Not just exercise. I then drill down from there ( family, career, friends, hobbies, travel, exercise). Time and energy are not unlimited and I have learned the hard way that doing it all doesn’t happen and will lead to burnout.
Of note: I do write down what I want (ideal). Initially, I don’t edit what I can’t do, how it will effect others or what I think I should be doing. After, I discuss parts with my husband Rick, family and friends. It’s how I find other people to do things with too.

Dream Big, write it down, edit after.

My “what’s and why’s” change over time. A few years ago, I was in charge of a hospital department, my boys were in high school and college, I was struggling with an illness. I decided to get a cycling coach to use my limited spare time to improve my cycling (Thanks Theia). I was able to complete a few real life events and improved each year, even with nagging sciatica.
I did not complete each workout, nor did I do things perfectly.

This year, I decided to try some new things. I’ve taken up swimming. I am entering a more vigorous workout routine so I can do off road triathlons. There is no way I could have done this with my previous responsibilities. I have to switch coaches so I don’t overtrain (Theia and I talked this over). Luckily, I have a women in the area who I get to learn proper techniques in person. I am still not focused on numbers or results. I like the process.

I would never be trying this if it wasn’t for my great experiences with the endurance lab, 360 Velo, and all of you in the forums to inspire me.

8 Likes

@Petals, thank you for sharing! I love your approach with “whats” and “whys” for life as opposed to parts and pieces of it. That balanced approach feels much more like something I’d like to reach (and don’t have). You have me pondering… :thinking: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Petals You are an inspiration to all us ladies !!

1 Like

@Petals thanks for sharing!!! What courage you have!! Not just to think about making the (sometimes hard) decisions but to put them into action!! Please keep us updated on your triathlons this year so we can cheer you on from afar!!!

3 Likes

@Petals I was constantly amazed by your attitude in the face of injury/adversity, and your commitment to staying active and empowering others. Keep us posted on your adventures please!!

Today, I am in the same boat as you were in two years ago. I worked so hard until July and now feel like I am behind. This text stream was a good read for me. In the past, I have written my “why” list, but have not the past couple of years. Thank you for the food for thought.

1 Like