Recipe Exchange / Favorite Recipes

Since we are all pretty stressed and most of us are now stuck at home, I thought I’d start a recipe exchange thread so we can share healthy meals or tasty comfort food. Our days might get a little boring, but there is no reason our food has to!

James just made Golden Coconut Lentil Soup. Comforting, delicious, and it has garlic, ginger, and turmeric in it for an immune system boost!

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, minced
  • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • Pinch of red pepper flakes
  • 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
  • 1 cup red or yellow lentils
  • 4 cups vegetable stock
  • 1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 1 ½ teaspoons salt

Optional Toppings

• ⅓ cup large unsweetened coconut flakes
  • ¼ bunch cilantro
  • 2 cups cooked jasmine rice

Preparation

In a large pot add the coconut oil, onion, garlic and ginger. Sauté this mixture over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until onions have softened. Then add the turmeric and red pepper and cook for another minute. Add the carrots and sweet potato and cook for a minute more before adding the lentils and stock.

Cover and bring soup to a boil before reducing heat to low and simmering for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, toast the coconut flaked in a medium sized skillet. Cook for about 1-3 minutes until most flakes are golden brown then place on a clean plate to cool.

After 20 minutes the lentils in the soup should be soft and broken down. Stir the coconut milk into the soup then use an immersion blender to puree half the soup. Once blended add salt and lemon juice, tasting to season.

Serve soup with cooked rice, cilantro and toasted coconut flakes.

11 Likes

Looks delicious I think that’s in the list for tomorrow! I have just made chocolate banana loaf - it’s not healthy but we are seeing a couple of friends this evening for a socially distancing appropriate dinner, so I made it as a treat.

On the more healthy side I’m currently trying to
Make my own banana chips in the oven - just thinly sliced bananas with lemon juice baked at 200f or 95c for an hour on each side. I have no idea how they will turn out, I will let you know!

1 Like

Sounds good. Trying to figure out how I can do this without the coconut as I’m allergic. How do you cook dried lentils otherwise? Maybe I can put this over rice.

1 Like

Of course i see this as I’m making my definite vs. would like list to head out to the store and had to something else to the list - wish me luck! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@Gossimrr you can sub extra vegetable stock or some nondairy milk like almond milk for the coconut milk. The lentils cook in the stock and the milk gets added in when they are done cooking to make the soup creamier.

In general dried lentils get cooked the same way dried beans do. They just don’t need to cook as long, especially if you soak them first.

Long Run (or RIDE) Mineral Broth - Recipe from Run Fast. Eat Slow. Nourishing Recipes for Athletes

The key to this is to leave the vegetables unpeeled, since there is a lot of power in the peels. This broth is rich in magnesium, potassium, calcium, and manganese, Vit A, C, E and K. Great for recovery!

1 medium beet, scrubbed and cut into quarters
1 yellow onion, unpeeled and cut into quarters
3 carrots, unpeeled and cut into thirds
1/2 bunch celery, including heart and leaves, cut into thirds
2 sweet potatoes, unpeeled and cut into chunks
1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley
5 large cloves garlic, unpeeled and smashed
1-inch knob ginger, unpeeled and sliced
8-inch strip Kombu (seaweed)
6 black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
4 quarts cold filtered water
2 teaspoons fine sea salt

Rinse all of the vegetables well, including the Kombu. Put the beet, onion, carrots, celery, sweet potatoes, parsley, garlic, ginger, kombu, peppercorns, and bay leaf in a 6 quart or larger stockpot. Add water, cover, bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 1.5 hours or until the full richness of the vegetables can be tasted. (You can also make this in a crock pot or Instant Pot. In a slow cooker, simmer on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8 hours or more.)

Strain the broth through a mesh sieve placed over a large heatproof container and toss or compost the veggies. Add the salt and add more to taste. Let cool and refrigerate.

3 Likes

Oh, that looks delicious @meganherzog!

1 Like

@Stefanie made your soup tonight - yummy!!! I used my instant pot - 15 min for the boil after adding broth and carrots - added coconut milk after that - might have needed 20 min bug in big deal - similar to a red lentil & spinach soup from skinny taste.com - as a lover of all things soup, i give it a 10 out of 10!!!

@meganherzog i am going to have to try the bone broth!!! Need to figure out if i have a everything or need to wait until my next venture to the store

1 Like

Glad you liked the soup @PaleGail! I think James will be making nondairy cream of tomato soup tonight:

INGREDIENTS

• 1 26-ounce box of crushed or chopped tomatoes
  • 2-3 tablespoons of raw organic cashews or macadamia nuts (about 10-12) OR ½ of a large avocado*
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 10-12 fresh basil leaves or 1 teaspoon dried basil or oregano
  • ¼ cup filtered water

INSTRUCTIONS

Combine the tomatoes, nuts OR avocado, herbs, and water in the pitcher of a blender.

Blend for 30 seconds on high or until the ingredients become fully combined with a creamy texture.

Blend the soup for an additional 4 minutes until steaming hot, OR transfer mixture to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.

Serve hot, with freshly-ground black pepper, if desired.

Notes

If you do not have a high-speed blender such as a Blendtec or Vitamix, I recommend using the avocado instead of the nuts to ensure you have a creamy texture to your soup.

2 Likes

Looks fabulous @Stefanie! I will type up my favorite vegan farro mushroom soup recipe later. Love this idea!

1 Like

@Stefanie does James have a fool proof flapjack recipe? My last two attempts have tasted great but do t hold together so turn into granola. I’m using oats, coconut oil, maple syrup, mixed seeds and lots of dried fruit…

Why yes he does @Michelle! I just posted the cinnamon-raisin version recently in a different thread:

It isn’t GF though. Are you GF? I can’t remember. If you are, we’ve tried using oats for pancakes before and they really don’t hold together at all. So maybe try oat flour or spelt? Or buckwheat flour. He’s made buckwheat pancakes too and they are great (so good with dried cranberries and walnuts!). I think the recipe is slight different than his whole wheat: Best Gluten-Free Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes - Running on Real Food

1 Like

Ok @Marmen21, here is the pizza dough recipe. James keeps it all in his head and goes by look and feel so you may need to make a few adjustments, but this should be pretty good:

1T yeast
1T sugar
1C warm water
2-2 1/2 C whole wheat flour

add 1 T yeast and 1T sugar to 1 C warm water
after yeast is foamy add 2 C flour and mix well
if dough is too sticky add up to 1/2C more flour
continue mixing with hands until dough does not stick to surface
roll or spread to desired shape on a prepared pan
let rest for up to 1 hour
the longer it rests, the fluffier the crust will be
top with desired toppings and bake for 25 minutes at 375F
the dough will be soft so spread your sauce carefully

1 Like

The Recipes! I think I got them all. If I left anything out, let know. Likewise if you have any questions about how we made any of them.

Please note that James uses recipes as a suggestion and often deviates from them according to what we have in the house or our preferred flavors. He also frequently adds things to recipes. For instance, the “eggs” had broccoli and other veg chopped up into them and the ice cream had chocolate chip bits and little blobs of peanut butter. The mac and cheese had leftover spicy sausage in it. So if you try any of these, they are flexible. Make them your own!

Ride Snacks
Sweet potato energy bites: Sweet Potato Energy Bites

Baked oatmeal: Vegan Baked Banana Oatmeal Cups - Running on Real Food

Tater tots: Vegan Tater Tots - Healthier Steps

The rice balls I had were white sushi rice mixed with mashed adzuki/red beans to hold them together.

Mid-Ride Snacks
Sourdough Toast

2 slices sourdough bread, homemade or bakery-bought

2 generous tablespoons peanut butter

1 banana, sliced

Molasses

Toast the bread. Top each piece with one tablespoon peanut butter and half the banana slices. Drizzle molasses on top.

Coffee smoothie: Creamy Cold Brew Coffee Smoothie - Minimalist Baker Recipes

Chocolate sweet potato ice cream: https://www.plantbasedgabriel.com/post/chocolate-sweet-potato-nice-cream-vegan-oil-free

The cereal I had was homemade granola (no recipe) in bowl with soymilk

Recovery and Dinner
Lentil eggs. The recipe calls for split mung beans but we have success with yellow split peas as well as yellow lentils: Fluffy Vegan Scrambled Eggs | Minimalist Baker Recipes

Spicy oatmeal sausage patties: Spicy Vegan Breakfast Sausage Patties | Shane & Simple

Sourdough waffles/pancakes: Vegan Sourdough Waffles - Holy Cow Vegan

Dirty rice: Vegetarian Dirty Rice | Vanilla And Bean

Spicy chickpea burgers: The Best Chickpea Veggie Burger Recipe - Running on Real Food

Spicy Thai peanut spaghetti: Spicy Thai Peanut Spaghetti

Mac and cheese. You don’t have to use butternut squash, any winter squash will work. We had frozen pumpkin (not pie pumpkin) in the freezer from last year’s garden and it worked great. Would also work fine with white sweet potatoes: Vegan Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese - HealthyGirl Kitchen

7 Likes

Hahahaha @gosimrr, yeah they do look like deer poop, but at least they don’t taste like it! (Not that I would know what deer poo tastes like). An FYI, don’t take them on an IRL ride if is going to be warm, they will turn into a mush.

Oh! I forgot to include the “snickers” recipe in my list! Super easy:

Snickers
Fresh medjool dates, pitted
peanut butter
dark chocolate

Stuff pitted date with peanut butter. Dip in melted dark chocolate (use a fork unless you don’t mind your fingers being covered in chocolate). Place chocolate covered dates on a plate covered in wax or parchment paper to keep them from sticking. Put dates in fridge for chocolate to set, or the freezer if you are in a hurry.

These will definitely melt so don’t take them on a ride with you. Make them a special treat for your zwift metric or century rides, after a hard race, or just because you deserve a treat.

1 Like

Got a new ride snack recipe for y’all! Just made them this week and they are so good!

Spiced Cranberry Energy Balls

Ingredients

1 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup date puree
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
1/4 cup honey or maple syrup to make vegan
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Measure out about two teaspoons and, using your hands, roll the mix into a ball. Refrigerate until you’re ready to eat.

2 Likes

Now i have to go to the store :woman_facepalming:t3:

1 Like

sounds great

1 Like

@Stefanie - i made this today & it’s yummy ! thank you !!

1 Like

@bkolden, here’s a few snack recipes for you!

Sugar-free chickpea cookie dough. We eat it with a spoon right from the bowl. We’ve also used it to make cookie dough nice cream: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/new-recipe-sugar-free-cookie-dough-dip/

A whole bunch of “nice cream” recipes: Nice Cream

Baked oatmeal. There are lots of recipes for different flavors out there, I like the peanut butter and jelly one and often make it as endurance bike snack food: Peanut Butter And Jelly Baked Oatmeal - Vegan Richa

Because we find the apples and raisins plenty sweet, we cut way back on the maple syrup in this recipe: Apple Walnut Strudel Roll-Ups - Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures

Lentil brownies - we sub unsweetened applesauce for the oil and use either dates for the sweetener or if using sugar, coconut sugar: Lentil Brownies - Fudgy Nut Butter & Lentil Brownies - Vegan Richa

If lentils brownies are too adventurous at this point, this one uses flour and banana: Healthy Vegan Brownies (Easy, Fudgy, and Oil-Free)

I hope these help get you started on no/low sugar snacks! Let me know if there are any other recipes you are looking for :smile:

2 Likes