Tips for Climbing - It's not just about W/kg in the real world

Yes I will! I do have a GoPro (the one from last year, pretty good images) Actually now I wanna run outside and do it right away but form is showing - 14 so guess I should save it for a day with fresh legs :smiley:

@Silje when you do it next time with the gopro, focus on the areas that flatten out (see image). it’s hard to see from your image, but it looks like there are some short sections that are flat to slightly inclined.

Most riders go HARD on the steep sections, and recover on these flat sections. This is the worst way to go fast up hill.

You should ride low threshold on the steep sections and when you get to these flat areas ACCELERATE. You do this by increasing your cadence to 90 to 100 RPMS for 6 to 10 seconds. Then hold the speed by dropping the cadence to 80 or less and holding low threshold at a lower cadence. This process will increase the speed and then you can hold the speed at a lower power on flat or descending grades. Do this on EVERY part of the climb that flattens out or descends. You will not believe how much faster you will climb. This is how the pros do it.

3 Likes

that’s around 90%-95% of FTP

That is a term our coach uses, but the best way to describe the feeling is the highest power you can produce after a HARD 30" to 1’ effort and clear lactate.

1 Like

I did this because I needed to log a 20 min max file, and I was afraid to not go hard enough. I see I averaged about 260 the steepest part, my threshold is 240ish. There is definitely flat parts. It seems flatter than the the file shows… I’m excited to try a different strategy with the steep now that theres only the goal of experimentation !

1 Like

I would try to ride the steep parts at 240-250ish - if that is a number you can hold for 60 minutes. Never let the power drop below 240 on the entire climb. Then when the grade starts to flatten, for 10 - 15" accelerate immediately to 300w without any hesitation and after the 10 - 15" drop the cadence to 75-80 RPM and get right back on 240 to 250 floor. Curious to see the results. Make sure to gopro it.

Good luck!

3 Likes

I am eager to do this test but hard to find the space in my plan. I guess @Coach_Theia have to go in and add a “climb strategy workout” in my Trainingpeaks calendar. I just finished a zwift race intensive period so would love to chase hills for a while :smiley: Actually I have a IRL climb race (15 minutes) next week. Its very steep, but it flattens a few places where I can apply the strategy. I have never ridden it full gas…

(i have recovery week next week but hope its okay with 15 minutes hard effort…)

1 Like

wow - average grade 15%. That is going to be “fun”. Try to gopro it if you can. Does not look like many flat sections. Looks like it could be a grind fest. In this case, you need to use standing / seated and high / low cadence. Change your body position and cadence to use different muscles. Accelerate when you can if the grade levels out. You need to plan for this. Get ready to change gears and do it quickly. Do not let up on the power when you shift. Carry momentum through the shifting. And make sure to carry power as you change cadence and body position. Remember to keep tension on the chain. Think about that always. When you take tension off the chain, you are slowing down. So the more consistent tension on the chain, the faster you go!

Good luck.

Relevant to this topic- take a look at Tom Danielson’s analysis of Sepp Kuss’ win yesterday at the Dauphine Stage 5 in this video. Tom is my Coach, and he also coaches Sepp. He mentions several of the elements @dfriestedt listed above and explain how Sepp used his zones, cadence changes and “plays” to win (IG and FB links provided):

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CECDidkB2sL/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

5 Likes

That was brilliant!

2 Likes

It was interesting to read the initial post first and then watch the video. I have so much to learn. Today’s workout was high cadence drills, so perfect timing.

2 Likes

Hearing the commentary really open my eyes in terms of what surfing the terrain means, this I can use in my race on Saturday! And the one the week after, even though its MTB theres still terrain variations and nobody expects an attack on the flat or cresting the hill :smiley:

3 Likes

Exactly! Same in Zwift.

1 Like

This was fascinating. I am a poor climber and probably too wimpy about “pain.” This explanation of using zones, cadence changes and so on really has me thinking. And I must add… it took me years to learn this, but when I encountered a climb I’d hammer it as hard as I could to get up (and nearly die). Once I figured out that I could use less power and get up in nearly the same time and have power left, I started to feel better about climbs. I’m still not able to push out much more than my normal wattage (and sustain said wattage) on climbs. I’m looking forward to this coaching opportunity to learn and improve.

3 Likes