Why I don't use ERG mode

I’m not an expert but I think it’s only an issue in workout mode. For normal riding there’s no option for erg.

I have a stupid trainer. I wouldn’t know ERG if it walked in front of me!

1 Like

This is interesting! I actually did not use ERG the two first seasons with Zwift because I didnt know about the feature :joy:
Like @Sylvie said, we MTBer are used to shifting a lot so thats what I did. I also shift a lot when i race in Zwift, ive even lost my chin because of rapid shifting (yeah theres something not quite right with the angle of my drivetrain/trainer set up, but i cant figure it out)
I feel my trainer (Neo) has an irritaiting delay when ERG is on, so looking forward to not using it the next month :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have no been using ERG for my workouts but cannot figure out how to load the workout outside of “workout mode “ is there a way to do this so I can still load the workout through Zwift but ne on the terrain of the course ?

Hi @Mich23, you can do workouts in “workout mode” with ERG on or off. However, there is no way to upload a workout and have the intervals/prompts show up on the screen outside of “workout mode”. Does that clarify/answer your question? When you start the workout in workout mode, you can turn ERG off. See the video below:

1 Like

Hello… so when I do workouts there is an option to turn ERG on (it’s off by default) so I do NOT turn it on. But when I join a ride or race on Zwift, I don’t see the torn on option. I always thought that it was on by default. Is that correct? And another question: if you can turn it off for a race, wouldn’t i be doing a “flat” race when everyone else is climbing? Wouldn’t I be “cheating” if I turn it off? Maybe I don’t understand ERG… :face_with_monocle: I’d appreciate your feedback!

1 Like

My understanding is that erg on and off is only available when you do workouts. When you do group rides or races you cannot change it… what your trainer will do is read the route you on and replicate it I.e 3% climb, -2% down hill etc. To make it more realistic

That is correct, ERG is only available in workouts in Zwift, not rides or races.

Thank you!!!

In this video I work on keeping the “power floors” during intervals that target various power zones (endurance, threshold, explosive). My goal is to control my effort as much as possible while avoiding dropping below the target power for the interval (power floor). Not easy, and although you see the numbers bouncing a lot, the result (look at graph at bottom of screen and w/kg on the right) is a fairly consistent effort.

Intervals:
1 min explosive (278 watts)
3 min endurance zone ramp (1 min 184w, 1 min 178w, 1 min 164w)
3 min threshold ramp (1 min 263w, 1 min 250w, 1 min 210w)
90 sec surge (30 sec 329w, 1 min 210w)

Here is the graph showing all the intervals from the video:

5 Likes

I love the new videos @Coach_Theia :hugs:

Your graph looks great :clap: :grinning: Very smooth.

I have a lot to learn :grimacing:

3 Likes

You make it look so easy @Coach_Theia :flushed:

3 Likes

HA! Wanted to read this before I set out on my first workout… now I’m just going to be hopeful if I can get even 30 seconds of a graph that pretty :grimacing: Gonna try to remember not to get too frustrated, thanks additionally for the tips @Michelle @Stefanie and @Lindsy in addition to the video @Coach_Theia Super inspiring and helpful!

3 Likes