100 mile ride, Century Ride and Grand Fondos - How to prepare for your first long event

Looking to complete your first 100 mile ride or participate in a Grand Fondo? Here is a roadmap with what you need to know to get ready!

1 Like

@pilinkaba as we were discussing yesterday, above is the link to the post where I provide an overview of how to start adding volume in a progressive manner to prepare for centuries. Please feel free to ask any questions!

Excellent, thank you, @Coach_Theia!

It was great to have met you :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m interested in a 100K fondo on 8/10 (IRL). I think I can get there with increasing the long rides once a week.

Yes, you can certainly do that @franklim. YOu could start building up your Sunday ride.

@Coach_Theia This is very helpful. Thank you. After reading this, I do not see a problem with being ready for a century in June. Most of the work can be done on the trainer with weekend rides in April and May.

@bkolden This might help you decided about riding in The Big Mike.

Thanks!! I will review. Now I just need to convince my hubby. I at least saw him reviewing the website!! lol

@kellynoelharman agree!

@Coach_Theia - I am thinking of doing RAGBRI. I currently riding about 80-100 miles a week…but now will be lower in winter. Do you have any other recommendations?

1 Like

How many hours is that a week @mapmeister? And why will it need to be lower in the winter?

Well, here I am a year later seriously considering trying the Big Mick again. Last year we had to settle for the 50 miles instead of the whole century due to my orthopedic issues. We would like to actually do the entire Century this year. Right now, today, I am basically almost starting from nothing having been off the bike for 4 weeks. The event is in June so theoretically I have 7 months to try to get ready. At least this time I know better what the trail is like. I have printed the above article and will start working on my training calendar. Any other resources and/or recommendations @Coach_Theia or others have? Thanks!

Good luck @mapmeister on the RAGBRI! That is quite the Party on Wheels event!! lol

1 Like

You will not regret doing it again. The begin part of the trail is beautiful.

2 Likes

Thanks @kellynoelharman. Do you have any training notes or suggestions you are willing to share?

1 Like

I can’t help much with the training program. I did what coach told me to do. If you decided to ride it, don’t waste energy on self doubt. The first 50 miles is beautiful and contains significant elevation gains. Keep spinning, eat regularly, dress in layers (it was cold at the beginning) and enjoy the the view.

3 Likes

@mapmeister please refer to this post where I guided Maria as she was preparing for a similar event and let me know if you have questions.

1 Like

I believe the article covers most of what you need, but of course you are welcome to ask questions along the way as they come up! You can do it @bkolden and it will be epic!!

2 Likes

In may 2023, I am doing a one week gravel ride in Virginia (tent camping and van supported). I have done a week bike tour in Maine, which I absolutely loved. This ride will be much more climbing and on gravel roads. For me, I know core and strength training is important. Extended events stress the triceps and neck as well as lower back.
Like you @bkolden, we have time to dial our fitness, food and bodies to be ready.

2 Likes

Excited to know there are others in our group who are stretching some limits. I need a cheering squad and it’s nice to have specific folks who we can encourage each other. :tada:

4 Likes

We are all cheering you on @bkolden! I’ve done 106 mile unsupported gravel races on unmarked rural roads in 95 degree heat with high humidity. Hydration is key and nutrition too. But also, mindset. Be ready for something to go wrong. Have a plan, decide ahead of time how you will handle things. And like @Petals mentioned, core is really important. Gravel shakes you up and wears you out and the stronger you core, neck and shoulders, the stronger you will be overall. You’ve got this!

2 Likes

@Stefanie and @Petals Thanks for the advice. I feel more confident approaching the ride this year having done the 50 mile on this same trail last year. So have a better idea what to expect from the terrain and trail surface. Luckily this is a well supported ride with lots of food and adequate fluid stops and availability. You are correct about the shaking and need for core and triceps. Luckily I have regular core as part of my overall training. (Have been off all training for 4 weeks due to surgery recovery but able to start training again this week! Yipee!!)

3 Likes