Cycling events for 2020 - what's your plan? [UPDATED - planning spreadsheet]

I am considering the Triple Bypass (maybe the single or the double will do fine though) 120 miles with I think 10K of climbing through 3 mountain passes. Not sure I can do the whole thing so might start with one of the shorter rides until I get more experience climbing in real mountains. There are some local rides I will check out too, and I’ve just joined a local biking club so a bit nervous but excited to see how that goes. :grimacing:

I would also LOVE to ride Trail Ridge Road again in the Rocky Mountain National Park. It was so fantastic last year but I was so out of shape it was very hard. That is something I prefer to have a few folks riding along as well as a SAG wagon/support crew - I’ve found there is no cell reception up in the mountains so is difficult to call for help!

6 Likes

@meganherzog, I have been in CO for about 20 years and still haven’t done trail ridge road! I just don’t like riding with no shoulder and tons of cars. They do open it for one day before the season starts to cyclist only. I have that in my plans for 2020 if I can get out of working.
The triple is great; lots of low gear pedaling :). Let me know if you want to ride sometime.

1 Like

I want to do my first XC MTB race in 2020. I haven’t looked at all the rides/races in Utah but will do that soon so I can start planning my season!

3 Likes

@Marmen21 when we did that ride we went early so we could beat most of the traffic and the storms (it hailed on us as we finished our descent). The traffic was moving slow and I was surprised to see most of the vehicles were very respectful of us. In fact, we had several people stop and talk to us at the parking pull offs to tell us how amazed they were that we were riding up. :grinning: There was a bit of a scarier section near the top. Once we passed the tree line, the wind was stronger up there and on some sections there were no guardrails and very little to no shoulder, so the crosswinds wanted to blow us into the traffic but overcorrecting would send you off a horrible drop off :grimacing: It would be amazing to go on a day with no traffic!!! Let me know if you decide to ride it!

@meganherzog, will be a last minute decision but I will definitely let you know!

1 Like

Waterloo G & G Gravel grinder with a team in Chelsea, MI in March 2020.

2 Likes

Trying to be an earth conscious gifted, I bought my husband a ticket to a farm to fork fondo. Hoping he will take me!

3 Likes

Triple bypass is one of my bucket list rides. I have a friend who has done it a few times.

I don’t know of any events that I have planned. I wanted to knock out my first double century in 2019 but I don’t think it’s going to happen. For one thing, the group I was going to ride it with is delaying until January. I’m also still on the fence about whether I can maintain the speed they want to do. However, I’m still satisfied with my riding in 2019. A friend and I are planning to do a self-paced double in February so I’m reasonably sure that between those 2 possibilities I’ll do one in 2020. I’m also intrigued by the Solvang Double since I would like to do a Triple Crown at some point and I figure that’s a good next step. Beyond that, I really don’t know. Some of the rides I would like to do are limited as much by our finances and need to schedule travel as they are by my riding skills.

3 Likes

I’m not sure about next season yet. Last year I went all in and raced every weekend- either a TT, road or crit. I’ve decided crits are not my thing. I was unable to do the Pikes Peak hill climb so that is on my radar, just don’t like to descend. As @meganherzog mentioned, triple bypass is also one to think about.
Bottom line - I’m still unsure what 2020 will shape up like. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

@mpatton I forgot about Pikes Peak. I just read someone’s post on that descent. He took several stops along the way down to let the brakes cool. He said they got too hot to touch! :grimacing:

1 Like

Thinking of doing a bikepacking trip in April in Los Angeles National Forest. Will be 3 days and about 63 miles in total. The first day has me a bit worried, as it’s a 5k ft climb in 8 miles. How would you recommend training for that?
If there are any women in the SoCal area, here’s the link if you might be interested - Womxn/Trans/Femme Cycling: Bike Packing through Los Angeles National Forest Tickets, Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 10:00 AM | Eventbrite

1 Like

Hopefully he takes you to one I’ll be doing so we can meet IRL!

@PaleGail that would be so cool. I’m thinking Hudson Valley or Berkshire’s. Tho finger lakes look amazing too!

1 Like

That’s how I descended Mt. Lemmon after climbing it. I had a running joke with someone that I was going to ride up and take the SAG down. I ended up just doing it at my own pace, riding my brakes, and stopping every 20 minutes or so to take a breath, let the brakes cool, and un-cramp my hands.

1 Like

@meganherzog that sounds like me - and my rims are carbon fiber sooo it really scares me. I would like to get disk breaks :hugs:

@stacypro lol yea the cramps in my hands!!

@gosimrr I’m planning on Finger Lakes, PA Dutch (that’s where I’m originally from and my bike team/shop is a sponsor) and Champlain Lakes (gonna sign up for my first Gran Fondo next year) - I have a 4th entry so I’m debating between Hudson Valley and Berkshires - i need to check my work travel schedule after the holidays as the signups will open mid-Jan.

Anyone doing Skinny Tires in Moab in March? I’m planning on that and RSVP in August. Need to feel the time in between but don’t have anything planned yet.

@Gossimrr have you thought more about it? First week of registration and I’ve registered for 3, have one more to pick and I’m toying with Berkshires vs Hudson Valley
I should have pinged earlier in the week, price cuts this week and there’s a code for $20 i think off fondos

1 Like

@PaleGail we are out of the country July 28-aug 6 so that really took quite a few rides off our radar. So I think it’s Hudson Valley for sure. I will check and confirm. Have you decided?

1 Like