Cycling events for 2020 - what's your plan? [UPDATED - planning spreadsheet]

@gosimrr i was chatting with my bike team (who’s not local to me) and Hudson Valley works well for us - Berkshires sounds great but I’m supposed to be in Cindy the same day for a work meeting (yes on a sunday) so Hudson Valley its going to be - that would be great if you guys are there as well!!!
I didnt do it last year - they did and they said i can handle that medio - the gran has a really nasty long sustained climb but its not on the medio route - the route is likely to be the same or very similar to last year

Getting a bit caught up after traveling and then getting sick as a dog. My first event is mid-April, a 3 day bikepacking trip in the LA mountains. Should be fine except for the beginning - there’s a 5k ft climb in the first 8 miles. There’s even a warning on the route sheet - WARNING: DAY 1 contains a 5,000 ft climb in 8 miles, please be sure to prepare for this rapid ascent. I’m figuring with the heavy bike, I’ll do some walking but would like to ride as much of it as I’m able to.
My big event for the year is in early June, AIDS LifeCycle, a 7 days, 545 mile ride ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles.

2 Likes

My plans just changed. I’m signed up for the 2020 Colorado park to park Challenge on July 25th. (100 Miles – 11,164′ Vertical Gain). I think I just got carried away with the enthusiasm for riding from this group! :flushed::flushed::flushed:

5 Likes

@Marmen21 I just looked at that ride - looks exciting, I hate the downhills- they scare me :pleading_face:. I can’t wait to hear about your adventure :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

Hello All! As a follow-up to my original post, I am sharing with you a template that you may use to schedule and classify your events for the year, using the guidelines above to decide which events are As, Bs, and Cs.

You will also see a line for somethuing called “The Checker” - more on that soon!

2 Likes

@Coach_Theia, what file format is the template in? I’m getting message that I don’t have access. I’m on the phone though, will try from the computer. Thanks!

I just clicked and it looks like it is in google docs.

Yes, it is in Google docs with public access.

Do we each do our own tab of the spreadsheet?

I was serious, i think we need a template/crosswalk for our Zwift/360 Velo/FB/Strava names so we can connect and root each other on in all the venues we are all tracking

2 Likes

@Michelle just ready back through this thread looking for the link to the template from @Coach_Theia and noticed that you are planning Etape Loch Ness up here in April!!

We will have to arrange to say hello when you are here :grinning:

2 Likes

@PaleGail my initial idea was to have whoever wants to use it to track individually, but sharing can be cool too! So it’s up to you all.

1 Like

@Coach_Theia

I have completed my bit on the template. Thanks for setting this up, I like it. I have no C events though I think they will emerge through the year! You’ll have to translate all my dates into non-British format I’m afraid :worried: because of course I’m dd/mm/yy instead of mm/dd/yy, sorry!

@PaleGail I have put my real name and in brackets my Zwift name on my sheet in the template.

1 Like

@Coach_Theia, Hmm, I definitely need to figure out some specific goals for this year. I always do a few metrics per year, but haven’t done a 100-mile century since 2017. One of my friends is into time trials now, so that is a thought. OTOH, maybe some easy trail riding (like C&O canal).

@PaleGail, I am “Candace C” here and on Garmin Connect; “Candace Carlisle” on Strava and Zwift.

2 Likes

@CandaceC do what appeals to you, things that make you excited and happy!

2 Likes

That would be great @Tracyligemagreen It’ll be my first time riding in Scotland and I’m looking forward to it. Riding with a friend who lives in East Kilbride and I need to sort out logistics - if you have any recommendations of places to stay near Loch Ness I’m all ears :grin:

1 Like

Happy to help @Michelle.

My main tips for accommodation would be:

If you’re staying in a hotel stay in Inverness town centre.

If you’re looking for Airbnb look for one on the east side of town. If you are on the west side you will get tangled up with Etape set up on the Sunday morning- closed roads etc.

If you’re looking at places and want some advice on location just send me the links and I’m happy to check them out. If you’re on Facebook/messenger I’m Tracy Green with a profile pic of me and my bike at John o Groats from the last RAB you’re welcome to PM me on there.

1 Like

Is anyone interested in racing the Zwift Classics? I have my eyes on Bologna and Richmond!!

https://zwift.com/events/series/zwift-classics/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=btn&utm_campaign=zwift_all_cycle_email_cervélogravelrushseries_announcement_other_march20

1 Like

I am. These look to be short and fun.

1 Like

These look great for some racing!

1 Like