Cycling events for 2020 - what's your plan? [UPDATED - planning spreadsheet]

Ok, so I am one of those people crazy enough who think that doing RAAM or the TransAmerica race would be so awesome. But RAAM is super expensive and TransAmerica is completely unsupported so neither have ever been likely to happen.

Well, I just saw the zwift team TBR is doing a vRAAM on June 16th! This I can do! You can choose the full vRAAM for 3,000 miles or do vRAW for 925 miles. I don’t think I’m really ready for the full vRAAM, but vRAW, definitely want to test myself on that! Courses have not been announced yet. Any other fans of long distances want to join in?

@Coach_Theia, is there anything I should start doing now that I am not doing already to prepare for a 925 mile virtual race?

9 Likes

Wow @Stefanie, that is definitely wild! I know you well enough to know I can’t talk you out of it. I also know me well enough to know you can’t talk me into doing it with you! :joy: But, I will definitely try to ride a bit with you if that’s possible during that time :hugs: And I’m getting a giggle out of imagining @Coach_Theia’s reaction to your question.

2 Likes

That’s an exciting and fast-approaching event @Stefanie! Do you have any details about the rules?

hahahaha @meganherzog! I love you! :hugs:

@Coach_Theia, yeah really short timeline that’s why I’ll do vRAW instead of the full vRAAM. If it’s going to be an annual thing maybe next year for 3,000 miles. There isn’t much information yet. The course will be on Watopia and both races will have a 12 day time limit. Here is the original post: https://www.facebook.com/anthony.gordon.555/posts/10158581440351844

1 Like

Wow @Stefanie! That is quite the goal!! As much as I am thinking you are crazy to ride that many indoor miles, my FOMO is kicking in!! How many hours do you think knit would take you? I understand it depends on how fast you pedal.

1 Like

@Stefanie awesome! So your prep will depend on your goal for the event. Do you want to compete or complete? Do you want to finish in in 12 days or fewer than 12 days and if so, in how many days? I would recommend having a little “cushion” in case you need a day off for whatever reason, or you aren’t able to meet the daily mileage goal for one or more of the days. From there, we can talk bout your plan leading up to and for each day of the event.

1 Like

I’d like to race it @Coach_Theia :grin: So 250 miles a day? I don’t know what the route is yet so that may be too ambitious. But at minimum 200 miles a day seems possible. Goal of five days or less for wiggle room.

@Marmen21 you should totally do it too! Misery loves company! :grin: As I mentioned to Theia, my goal is 5 days or less. It will be a long time before I will be able to sit down again after that! :rofl:

Let’s schedule a call to chat @Stefanie !!

1 Like

@Stefanie, bless you! You think I could ride that much each day? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I will be happy to provide all of my virtual support!!
I would love to join you for pieces of it if you need the company though. When you have more info, please share. You are my new idol! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Let’s @Coach_Theia!

LOL @Marmen21, I’m not all that certain I can do that many miles each day but I aim to try! :smiley:

2 Likes

@Stefanie :scream::scream::scream::scream: 250 miles a day for a few consecutive days!!! You’re badass and insane at the same time haha :rofl:

3 Likes

Wow oh wow @Stefanie I can’t even wrap my head around this!

3 Likes

I’ll give you ride ons and tons of support! I can’t even fathom doing it though :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Holy smokes. You are so awesome! Can’t wait to cheer you on!!! :muscle::fire::heart_eyes_cat:
-Angie

2 Likes

@Stefanie you have always been my cycling inspiration and this is exactly why!! wow, 250 miles per day IRL would be hard but doing it on the trainer - so badass!! In fact we may need to find a new nickname for you because what you are about to embark on is so much more than badass…

5 Likes

Thank you all! I fell asleep last night thinking I am effing nuts to race vRAW. I woke up thinking I am nuts too. :laughing: Can I do it? I have no idea. But all of my cycling events this summer are being cancelled one by one and crazy as vRAW is, it made me excited. So why not? I have nothing to lose, won’t have to rent an RV for my support team, won’t have to worry about altitude sickness or the heat of the desert, or falling asleep on my bike and tumbling into a ditch.

Whether I manage to do it in 5 days or less, 12 days, or DNF somewhere in the middle, to have a goal and be excited by the challenge and have your lovely messages of support is worth every sore and tired muscle. I know everyone’s events are being cancelled and I hope instead of being down about it, we can all find something to challenge and excite us, something to help us remember why we love cycling so gosh darn much! :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

@Stefanie I can’t wait to ride with you during this. I’ll have fun doing my rides next to you provided I can keep up!
So exciting

2 Likes

@stefanie This is wild and exciting. Yes, ride ons and support.

2 Likes

Put me down for that sounds amazing, but I can’t picture spending that much time on the trainer. I think you should totally do it though.

I ended up registering for Ramrod and got a spot early enough on the wait list that I will probably get in if the ride happens. Unfortunately, my motivation for riding right now is basically zero. I’m teleconferencing all day for work so Zwift is the last thing I want to do in the evenings, and being outside isn’t working well either. :frowning:

1 Like

Totally understand @stacypro. My work computer and my home fun/zwift computer are now one and the same and I get sick and tired of looking at it. I am fortunate to have a desk in a room away from my trainer so I relocate my laptop between the two places. It’s not much but it does help to separate the two a bit. Maybe just try joining a group ride and zwifting without expectations until you get your mojo back. :hugs: When is Ramrod? Hopefully at the end of summer when there is chance it might happen?

2 Likes