Cycling events for 2020 - what's your plan? [UPDATED - planning spreadsheet]

@stacypro maybe a lunch break? Or just make a deal with yourself and agree that all you need to do is change into your cycling kit and start pedaling. If you want to stop after 5 pedal strokes, no problem, no judgements! But if you keep going beyond that, no matter what you do on the bike or for how long… Celebrate!

2 Likes

More information about vRAAM and vRAW. They are partnering with Zwift to make a special course!

4 Likes

Stefanie- Ramrod is the last week in July, in Seattle, so I figure it is a 50/50 shot that it happens at this point. And yes, getting sick of looking at the computer is a huge part of it. Our bike room is separate from the room where I do most of my teleconferencing, it’s just that darn screen all the time. I’ve tried doing just quick, tried joining group rides, tried telling myself to just get dressed and pedal a little. I’ve had mixed success with all of those. :confused: I don’t typically take more than 15 minute breaks between teleconferences during the day, so lunch is hard.
I think part of it is that I cut way back on my mileage after my double century to give myself a chance to rest and regroup, then right when I was ready to start riding hard again this whole quarantine thing happened. It’s also during the best weather of the year in Phoenix, and by the time we are out of quarantine it will be hot summer.

1 Like

I will keep my fingers crossed for your event @stacypro! In the meantime, be kind to yourself. Nothing is normal right now Everything is hard. Be patient even though it isn’t easy. You’ll get the spark and motivation back. :hugs::heart:

2 Likes

@stacypro,I’m not in your timezone, but maybe getting on discord or Zoom with someone may make workouts at least some more fun? Or trail of a different platform?

1 Like

My friend is organizing a 8 day stage race if anyone is interested. It’s not too much distance and can even be part of a workout I’m sure. It’s free. Check it out. May keep you motivated. I may do some days or all of it. At my own pace.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing, Christina! I don’t think I can commit to 18mi each day but I did make a donation! :purple_heart:
-Angie

2 Likes

@adm0629 thank you. Not sure I can commit either but I’m going to try.

1 Like

@Coach_Theia, I am going to tackle this. I am changing my long ride day to May 2. I think this will work within workouts and I’ll Just add endurance onto the workouts as needed. Sound do-able?

1 Like

@gosimrr thanks for sharing! I love the look of this and have a week off work from 27th April so I have signed up as I should be able to get chance to get the mileage done. Hopefully can work it in with the workouts so I don’t get even more behind than I already am :roll_eyes:

I’ve shared with lots of friends as well to get more folk interested.

My goals are to

1. Get better
  2. Increase my bike time to go after the imperial 100 (probably need 5.5-ish hours). I’d like to do this before the Zwift Academy.
    That’s all for now!
2 Likes

@Tracyligemagreen awesome. Thanks for sharing.

@franklim sounds like a good plan

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Cycling Bibs and Shorts for Women

My 3 main activities are now all cancelled. In a way it is a relief as I was just waiting for the last one to be cancelled. I had a triathlon camp middle of May in Bend, OR. I was going to Pacific Crest Sports Festival end of June in Sunriver, OR. I will probably go to Sunriver, OR anyway if anything to relax.

RCC announced today that RAMROD is cancelled and my slot moves to next year (or I can get my money back less registration fee). That one is extra special as run by a small local club. Between the joint efforts of the club, the park service, and short radio volunteers, the ride has a grassroots vibe.

1 Like

My husband and I are scheduled to ride the Tour de Tahoe in September. I keep checking but have not seen a cancellation announcement yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

2 Likes

The only event left in my schedule yet to be cancelled is 5 days Cycling around Mallorca with my club mates in September… it’s scheduled for 2 days after my Brother’s wedding - the wedding has been postponed (as of this week) but I suspect the Mallorca trip will cling on by its finger tips until the COVID fog starts to clear.

Still hoping the Charleston Distance Run (15 miles) Labor Day weekend is still on. No word yet but all my events scheduled thru August have been cancelled.

Barrelman at the end of September will make a decision by 7/15. I’m probably 30/70 that it occurs as the new triathlon guidelines will make it a nightmare for this, one of the last independent races in NA. Plus there is the issue of crossing into Canada.

I did join a challenge, the GVRAT. It’s traditionally a multi day ultra across Tennessee, which I could never do or have the desire to run. ~1021.68km. Since they couldn’t run it the RD decided to make it virtual and got overwhelmed. Over 15000 people are signed up. Proceeds go to Feeding America and local food banks. There is also a pet division and those proceeds go to soon to be named animal services across TN. The shirt order alone has re-opened a local business. Anyway it averages out to 5 miles a day 5/1-8/31. Now I’m not running all of it. So I do my normally scheduled runs, walk a 5K the other days and build up the mileage. So far so good. Build the distance slowly and increase my long runs.

2 Likes

All of my events [there were only two] are officially canceled with the postponed RR100 now cancelled…which is fine by me as I have many other areas to work on including weight loss and strength. weekend after next I plan to go out and ride the RR course. I also haven’t been to the hills of Galena, IL since April 2012 so I plan on a few long weekends out there. FUNNY and not totally related to this thread is that one of my SO’s friends is the race director for the “Hot Chocolate” series that started here in Chicago. As of 2 weeks ago they had 30,000+ already registered for this year’s virtual event! The sweatshirts are being manufactured in three different countries and essentially how quickly they can crank out race paraphernalia is what will limit the size of the event. It was fascinating to hear him talking about it during a virtual HH.

1 Like

@reservoircat I keep getting the emails for the virtual hot chocolate :sweat_smile: i think I participated once but for the last several years, I’ve bike marshaled for it. Assuming its cAnceled this year, i havent checked, i’m missing out - we have been getting the t-shirt/sweatshirt from the year before as our volunteer gear the past few years - so its always good swag and i love bike marshaling for races

1 Like

Wow these virtual events are getting big!! Not surprisingly I suppose. Where are they being run (which platform) @vivian.a.workman and @reservoircat?

I would love to ride the RR course. Maybe we can do it while social distancing! But I’m with you - I am not too concerned with events being cancelled as I can always dedicate the year to building skills and strength (although CX… sigh…). Steamboat Gravel hasn’t been cancelled yet… it’s scheduled for August 8th.

I am still hoping for group rides with you all from Illinois this year, and also with my new teamies IRL!

1 Like