Cycling events for 2020 - what's your plan? [UPDATED - planning spreadsheet]

The GVRAT has its own interface where you log in and it tracks your progress. They had to get a larger server to handle the volume but it seems to not have any issues. I signed up thru RunSignup. Huge FB group. The RD is very active and posts supportive and informational tips (today he discussed foot care). Race starts from the day you sign up but must be finished by 8/31.

Obviously you can run/walk anywhere and the map takes your mileage and shows where you are along the course. Start across the River from Memphis (at the very southwestern tip) then across the bottom of the state head up thru Knoxville (I’m a Tennessee alum) to the northeast point.

Give myself time to build. So May weekday 2 runs will be 4-5 miles with 10-12 combined on the weekends. Off days will be an hour long 5k walk. Switching shoes and using my heavier ones for the walks. Hopefully I can start getting out on the trails soon so it will be less impact.

Not swimming right now so I’ve got 2 days that I can recover with the dryland swim drills and the walks.

1 Like

https://runsignup.com/Race/TN/Memphis/TheGreatVirtualRaceAcrossTennessee1000K?remMeAttempt=

Galena is such an under-explored area in IL for cycling! @dfriestedt and I went out there a year or two ago, and the roads and hills are amazing, almost no cars… on the flip side though, we felt a little uncomfortable out there riding alone. I don’t even think you can get an Uber if something happens and you need help. Lots of gun shops and people looking at you like you are from outta space when you walk into a shop dressed in cycling kit. Definitely not a place I’d ride alone. Better to have a group and some infrastructure/support.

ya - it’s “Back Country” big time. Guns, trucks with big tires, farm equipment.

Good to know - a few friends from here love to go out there to ride but other than when we do the farm to fork where i can ride my own and catch up later if necessary, not always fun to ride with them otherwise though, 1 person would be cool but the other’s idea of a group ride is everyone has to be at her pace - no concept of everyone working together. - just something i accept about her as she’s a dear friend but I’d fair better riding with you and @dfriestedt and I’m no where near your levels

1 Like

I will inquire about the platform I didn’t even think to ask. I was so dumfounded by the amount of folks registered and the logistics of getting the commemorative sweatshirts manufactured that I couldn’t think of questions. I am curious if there will be obvious differences in quality of the race gear based on country of origin - - mass manufacturing of garments is something I know nothing about but it is fascinating to think the items are all being manufactured in a hugely diverse array of countries in the time of COVID which I imagine means all interaction between manufacturer and customer is completely digital.

There used to big an awesome little duathlon called the Peanut Butter Duathlon in the Rockford area in Loves Park on either the last Saturday in April or the first Saturday in May followed by a Sunday ride called “Ride the Ups and Downs” in Elizabeth - - that is actually the last time I rode out that way was to do the duathlon on Saturday and then the ups and down ride on Sunday with a Saturday overnight in the Galena Territory. Ride the ups and downs was a hilly metric century where as @adm0629 's husband put it, you could gain weight because every rest stop was catered by little old ladies from the area and apparently it was some kind of a baking contest as well as a cycling event.

This was then followed by a big little triathlon out there, right around my birthday (every year it was the third Saturday in May), galled the Galena Tri - -it was point to point and my fastest ever bike splits on that course were on a road bike with clip on aero bars (my TT bike is minutes slower despite being arguably “fitter” by the time I invested in that bike). I don’t have any garmin / strava data from the years when I used to ride out there regularly but I did once get lost - - @adm0629 was there I think although we weren’t riding together by that time seeing as how I was lost. A mutual friend had organized a little ride starting from his childhood home town in that general area and I recollect it was the hottest day of the year by far (easily 100 degrees), and I had one bottle of water left when I realized I was way off course. I had to ration the water and slowly make my way through the area until I found something familiar and eventually made my way back to the rest of the group. I recollect ending up doing 120 miles that day and for a solid five hour period saw not one other living thing - - even the farm animals were all inside it was so hot. I can still smell the dung from all the pastures I rode by :wink: I should say I have never felt threatened though - - creeped out for sure - - and found folks generally friendly but the 'murica large pickup truck crowd definitely has a presence out there. I have however been mugged by a goat who got me to stop on a particularly steep climb where it was virtually impossible to get started again… and when the farmer came out to look for this particular goat (was clearly a pet and not one they were going to eventually eat), he was laughing so hard. Apparently mugging cyclists was something this goat did somewhat regularly.

I think because of the three bike events I mentioned, there used to be a regular influx of riders in the area but it has been years I think since any of those events was put on so perhaps there are so few cyclists out there now that local behavior has changed. I wonder. I do want to do a long weekend out there again this year and will stay in the Territory and hope I remember my way around :slight_smile: and I definitely will stick close to whatever friends I can convince to go with me though on the off chance people are in fact less tolerant of cyclists nowadays.

1 Like

I really hope we get to ride together this year @PaleGail and @reservoircat, along with @Luv2bike and @NUGirl! And I would be stoked if we had a CX season and @adm0629 would come!! :hugs: and then some day we will all meet for a 360 VELO Camp in Utah, right @Covi? I am dreaming, but it can happen!!!

Wow Liz, you have some crazy stories out there in Galena. I was amazed by the roads out there. It’s like a mini Arizona in our back yard! I heard about the tri out there- didn’t racers have to swim on that river that runs in the middle of the town?

4 Likes

Hi!
I have been training for months to attend a ride on April, ‘Marcha 10 Picos Espadán’ with 139km and almost +3400m (https://www.demarragevalencia.com/recorrido-10-picos). It was going to be the first time I attempted to do such a hilly ride but I was sure I could do it but it has been cancelled due to coronavirus and I have to wait until next year to do it and I have no plan for this year. :sleepy:

2 Likes

We used to have a charity ride around Lewisburg called they Wheels of hope. It featured the “barrel of snakes” rides (each distance was some kind of snake). I did the Asp Burner 2x (metric century with over 5500’ climbing). The century has well north of 10’000. The second year it rained the entire ride and the road dirt kept gumming up my brakes. Mind you this is all remote 2 and single lane WV mountains. But the aid stations were great. All well stocked and the volunteers were the best. First year it was the standard WV tropics (heat and humidity and sun). I think they took a break last year and I guess it will also be off this year.

But if you want to travel in the future and ride some picturesque mountain farm county it’s worth checking the routes out.

2 Likes

@Cristina make your own plan now - it stinks that all our stuff is canceled but at some point we’ll be able to ride IRL and in the meantime we make do with Zwift - find a new challenge there - it won’t replace the disappointment but i think it will help ease it somewhat - if not, I prescribe what we all call a Gail day (the other ladies dubbed it this) - where you do what you want for the entire day - whether its working out, riding, reading, or just resting - it’s about it being your choice with no one telling you what you should do that day :hugs:

3 Likes

I LOVE the idea of a Utah camp!! We can work out logistics with a Galena mini-camp and rent a big house in the Territory.

The Galena tri swim was in Apple Canyon Reservoir (at least it was every year I did it). It was ICE COLD save for one year which is why I started doing the duathlon and I am no runner. If I did the swim, by the time I got to the run portion, my feet would still be frozen solid and it was like running on stumps.

There is another race with a kayak start which I think is in the river. I have always wanted to do that one - - it was/is in the fall I think.

3 Likes

Me too! Im northwest indiana and i would drive out to ride with you guys :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes @Reneea2002 for sure!!!

1 Like

I’m totally up for Galena camp or just IL camp!! Just got the official notice that all my Farm to Fork events are moved to 2021 @gosimrr heads up
He is doing small group rides this summer so i signed up for the one back in PA since i should be able to visit with friends - assuming we’ve all opened up to phase 3 or 4 by then. Bummed but i get it - not looking forward to traveling and dealing with all that added stress - its stressful enough yet just going for groceries :confused:

1 Like

@PaleGail I just saw that too. I’m thinking I may use this summer to find routes by home that are new to me. Kinda bummed but what can you do? I’m not working summer school this summer. I’m done with video conferencing, done as in I can’t wait for it to BE done!
Hoping things will get better and looking for fall foliage rides with friends as that seems like a possibility.

3 Likes

Of Course! I am up for it, anytime! This fall? Provided it’s safe. My husband owes me anyway - he got his camp in, late February, and mine in late April was cancelled. I can drive to @Covi! :purple_heart:
-Angie

3 Likes

My house is now ready! I welcome everybody with open arms

4 Likes

This Fall is too soon, but next year!!! We can start organizing and I even know who can provide amazing route and SAG support.

4 Likes

Wohoooo!

I just signed up for a 200 only-event in August! 85 km marathon MTB with singletrack, it will be many hours race but beautiful scenery. Putting it into my TP asap!

5 Likes