Eating / fueling for a 200 mile ride

No cycling today but did a partial simulation of the yeti 24hour challenge (5 miles every 4 hours for 30 miles total). It was hot. So I mostly consumed liquid fuel and mostly walked runs #2&3. Going to make a few tweaks and try a 4x5 simulation next weekend but start a bit earlier. It requires a bit of planning as I can’t eat or drink for a minimum of 30’ after thanking my thyroid meds and I like to have 45-60’ post food before I start a run. Also took a nap before #3 and I could tell the impact at the start of #3. Hopefully next weekend it will be cooler and I can add more solid foods. I don’t really like using Gatorade but it has more calories. The Nuun recovery tastes better with sparkling water and the store has the SP on clearance.

3 Likes

@gosimrr well, it’s an improvement. Did you feel better?

You had about 194 grams of carbs not counting the pre-ride food. That puts you at about 43g per hour. The goal is 60g per hour, so you could have gone up to 270g based on your ride time. The pre-ride carb was very low at only 30g - goal is 60-90g with some extra carbs the night before.

I had about 78g/h on that ride I posted about above.

@vivian.a.workman that looks like a tricky way to fuel, having to space things out like that.

It was a bit tougher than I thought it would be. The pauses are what gets you. Just enough time to start to relax then your back out again. Plus the heat makes you not want to eat when you finish. I think I can find something more substantial to eat post run and it will be better. It’s not like a long course tri or long trail race where you are in constant motion.

Tried to do the group climbing simulation today but the heat and yesterday’s activity lead to a negative mindset and early onset of fatigue. Just couldn’t get into rhythm. So next weekend I’m going to reverse the days and do my bike workout on Saturday, the runs on Sunday and it should be better.

1 Like

I guess I have to begin to read this thread. I am not going to ride 200 miles, but 50 miles on singletrack. I think it will take me about 6 hours. I dont use a lot of supplements, because I dont usually ride very long rides. I also dont have the same brands as you have in the US. I will test about 80 % of the course during summer vacation and will also then test food/drink and bibs :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@gosimrr that sounds much better than the last ride!! But i will let Coach be the deciding factor. I love how you snuck in the coffee :grinning: i think i may have to switch to iced myself for a bit - do you like the untapped mapleaid? The lemon was not bad but i did not care for the ginger. I seem to do better with Skratch or SiS hydration to be honest. Maybe i will get a few more of Untapped to try them out again.

Would cold smoothies work? That way you can fuel/recover with real food but it is cold and liquidy and less like food but tasty.

I’ll probably try a few., it can’t hurt with the heat. Might also find the electrolyte popsicles again. The protein was plant based power mixed with cold almond milk. Made more of a mousse than a drink.

1 Like

@Coach_Theia I felt better than the day before for sure. I can’t imagine eating more before the ride. I’m shoving in my mouth to begin with. I sometimes struggle to finish whatever I’m eating In The morning pre ride. During the ride I do eat a snack every hour and drink. I don’t have fuel in my bottles. Perhaps that would help.

@PaleGail I mix the tea and the ginger untapped powders together. I like it better. It was suggested to me and that’s how I do it now. 50/50.

@vivian.a.workman that heat being added to your challenge is tough. I get it. I really don’t want to eat when I get back from riding when it’s so hot. Smoothies can be an option. Maybe something tropical will be refreshing?

@Coach_Theia I’d live to do a nutrition consult when my life gets more in order. In the meantime, I will try to eat more on my rides to fuel better. The struggle is real.

1 Like

@Coach_Theia, Exactly what does a nutrition consult involve?

@Gossimrr have you tried eating smaller amounts more often while riding instead of eating larger amounts once an hour? I can’t eat big amounts at once while riding so generally eat small amounts every 20 minutes or so. I have an easy to open top tube bag with my food cut up into bite-sized amounts that I can just reach into as needed instead of in my jersey pockets.

3 Likes

@Stefanie can’t say that I do but that is a great suggestion. I have a burrito bag now and have been trying to use it more. I have been reaching for dates and the GF balls recently. I may have to rearrange stuff in my pockets and bag to make it more accessible. That makes good sense.

2 Likes

@Silje doing a dress rehearsal is always a good idea. Are you planning on using liquid nutrition? Must be hard to drink in a MTB race. Will you have a Camelback and/or stops to refuel?

@Gossimrr you are on the right track!!

@bkolden below is a summary of what I offer. I haven’t set up the app yet, so option #2 is forthcoming

1. One-time consultation ($150 / $100 for 360 VELO members)

Best for those looking for general guidance on current nutrition habits. It includes:

• 30 min Kick off call
  • Analysis of a 4 day food log (these are pictures you take of everything you eat and drink; no need to fill out a paper log)
  • Recommendations, in writing, based on your goals and current eating habits (this is not a nutrition or food plan - they are guidelines)
  • 60 min Call to discuss food log and recommendations
  1. On-going nutrition coaching ($99/month; minimum commitment of 3 months)

Ideal for those looking for a more hands-on involvement from me, where I am with you every step of the way, working as your 1:1 nutrition coach, using the Precision Nutrition app as a tool. Under this plan, I make weekly reviews and recommendations and answer on-going questions.

• 30 min kick off call
  • On-boarding brief questionnaire and food log
  • 60 min call to discuss food log and map out overall recommendations/next steps
  • Daily check-ins via Precision Nutrition app (or weekly, as preferred)
  • Tailored nutrition habits to work on every week or every 2 weeks (also through the App)
  • Other educational information/infographics/short videos/webinars available in the app to read and watch at your leisure

https://procoach.app/theia-friestedt

1 Like

Theia: I think I need some solid food too. The race is partially sponsored by the nearby farms and their traditional food products so will be different sourdough breads, jam, cured ham and meat, trout, lemonade etc. I think we also get a craft beer, when we pass the finish line :grinning:. I’ve had some success with having some salty meat mixed with gels and liquids before so will try to bring some with me on the test ride, and also some high quality bars without too much fat. Maybe even make my own granola bars …

3 Likes

Thanks @Coach_Theia! Looks very comprehensive.

I have been working a lot on my on bike nutrition and hydration and recovery for swimming. I switch between tailwind and skratch for my liquid hydration.

@Silje - I have done 2 66 mile mountain bike races. They were point to point (no laps), so carrying food and water is something you need to plan. I only put water in my Camelback, so I eat 2 clif blocks an hour and drink water. I also carry salt and electrolyte tabs, since I sweat a lot of salts. I also carry real food- peanut butter and jelly pre cut up.

Based on the time and distance, for 3 + hour or longer rides, I use combination of real food and waffles, chews, something salty (cheese and crackers).
I break down my fluid to drinking something every 15 minutes. I know I should finish a bottle every hour or 75 minutes- broken down - my bottle should be empty every 4 to 5 drinks. If it isn’t, I finish it up and try to drink 20 to 25% of a bottle every time I drink. I also eat solid food every 45 minutes to an hour.
I have an iron stomach- and am known to eat the bacon drizzled in chocolate and maple syrup shots at events. I also try a lot of different hydration products, gu’s, clif bloks, sis gels, etc on zwift rides and my weekly long rides so I know what I can tolerate.

3 Likes

Thanks @Petals! This race is point to point, its GPS based and only one food station so the point is to carry mostly of my own food and water. There are plenty of clear mountain rivers i can re-fill water from, but I will be using a cambelback for pure water (Agree with you, I dont contaminate them with ichy sugary stuff, its a recipe for growing strange fungus) I tested a 4 hours workout and nutrition and think I have a plan for how I will eat, with a combination of solid food and some gels/bars. There is a Norwegian cheese made from goat milk that I will use on a very good soft bread called polar bread. Its so good, I get watery mouth just from writing about it haha. This July has been called, snow has melted slower than usual in this area so the ground is very dense with water. I dont think it will be hot enough to be needing a lot of salt/water. Im hoping for something inbetween. Not too hot and not too cold. And no rain :smiley:

2 Likes

@Coach_Theia

last minute question but how do you plan when the race starts early? The start is 10.00 AM, but I will need to drive there and fix certain things before start so will probably eat around 7.00 (oatmeal + protein supplements)

I guess I should have snack with easy digestable carbs and a little protein like 09.00-09-30 too?

I have plan to carb up all I can today (day before), I think I will land at about 450 grams (bodyweight 64 kg)

1 Like

@Silje you could have started upping your carbs 2 days before even. I agree that you will need a snack between breakfast and the race. 9:30 better than 9:00. Do you have bars that you like and that are easily portable, that have protein and carbs? You could do one of those bars + banana, for example.

Also, eat more than you normally would for that breakfast.

1 Like

I have carbed up for a few days, that was not a very good formulated sentence, but paying extra attention today to my “good gut carbs” to not risk running to the toilet when the race starts :smiley:

Good luck in your race @Silje!!!

1 Like