Power meter recommendations cranks vs pedals

Cove, I have a pair of Assiomas Uno I put a spd (xpedo) body on. It’s a hack, google assioma favero spd hack :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you Silje!

Hey folks - bumping this up to see if there are any new recs or if anyone has heard of ot tried this: https://velocomp-llc.myshopify.com/products/powerpod-v3-power-meter

I have always done my training on my indoor trainer and love outdoor group rides, but I need to head to CA to care for a sick parent and can’t fly the whole set up out with me. I’ve got a bike shop who is renting me a bike but now I need a power meter and computer! All help welcome!!!

@TCita I had never heard of this PM, looks interesting. It uses wind and speed to calculate power, so placement is important. Have you read this review from DC Rainmaker? Quite useful:

1 Like

I have this power meter on my gravel bike and I’ve not yet perfected it’s calibration yet. Pretty frustrating. I don’t often care too much about power when I’m on my gravel bike so it’s not that big of a deal to me. But if it were my primary bike that I trained on it would be a big no go for me. Some rides seem to have super accurate power that I believe and then other rides I end up getting data that is 1000+ watts for the whole ride. And while I would love it to think I could output that kind of power, I know it’s not at all realistic! :rofl:

3 Likes

I am looking at getting a power meter for my gravel bike. I am in no hurry, but I do want to decide what I want. I have read this thread. Any additional suggestions?

@kellynoelharman first I think decide if you want single or duo - i got in a mood and decided that I wanted the assioma duos and while I’m happy with them they havent been an easy shift from the trainer to IRL - decide if you want something that night be different in terms of pedals or a crank - figure that out first

@kellynoelharman i recently bought stages crank arm power meters. I had initially bought only the left-sided crank and i would have have been perfectly happy with just using the left crank to estimate the power for both legs, but, because of the pandemic-related bike part scarcity, i eventually ended up with power meter cranks on both sides. My right crank was hollow and needed to be replaced now. We were unable to find a source for a regular crank, so i ended up with power meters on both sides.

I love my pedals and i am unable to get those with a power meter. I am not willing to give up my pedals just to get a power number.

I didn’t want dual sided because i have an injury to my right leg making it weaker than my left leg especially when walking or climbing stairs. I would rather not know if my leg is producing a lot less power while riding. However, i ended up with the a 54.4-45.6% split, which is no where near as bad as i thought it would be. Now, that i know, i am pleased, but i never need to look at those numbers again. However, i needed a crank and that was what was available.

Having the power number is cool, but i haven’t found them actionable yet.

I have Stages one-sided crank-arm power meters on my road and gravel bikes. I use the Stages output for Zwift also. You can compare your power meter to your smart trainer (assuming you have one) using DC Rainmaker’s tool: DCR Analyzer Tool Overview & Manual

Since this has resurfaced.
I use a Power Tap chainring, which is no longer available. :frowning: I have an unusual road bike setup with 155mm Cobb cranks, Speedplay pedals, and wanting it to work on both the road and the trainer (so nothing rear wheel based). Crank and pedal based systems were out (anxiously awaiting the release of a speedplay power meter).
The chainrings aren’t technically dual sided but it measures the power through the entire system and guesses at a left/right balance, rather than measuring the output on the left side and doubling it. I’m not much of a data holic anyways so the deep dive pedaling data isn’t really a priority for me. The price was also right on this one. I think there are a few other chainring systems out there, so they might be worth thinking about if you have an unusual bike setup.