Power meter recommendations cranks vs pedals

Hi all,

Just would like to know which power meter you use… crank/s vs paddles?
Are you using single or dual?
Have you experienced any issues with it I.e software etc. or no issues at all?

Cheers Maya :slightly_smiling_face:

I started with the Favro assioma uno. The figures I got where incredible, so I sold them and bought the duo pack. I saw that I had a very soft right leg and a strong left leg so the figures with not correct with the uno pack.

I have no technical problems with the Favro assiomas but I have some problems to put the shoes in and out.

Last week I bought the Garmin Vector 3 both sides. I will see. Because of my bad cold I was not able to test them outside yet. But it is more easy for me to put the shoes in and out.

I like the pedals because I have more then 1 bike.

1 Like

@RenaSchnegge thank you for that. My husband had the Garmin vector 3 when these just came out last yr but had lots of issues with it. He could not wait for the updates… so he got stages ultegra crank duel…

How this question came up today… someone here in Perth is selling Infocrank powermeter 170mm… my size…but my husband said it had bad review in relation to its software… or he is just :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: me :rofl::rofl: which is most likely :joy::joy:

1 Like

@drew_friestedt and I have Quarq on almost all of our bikes (we have many!) and love it. It is very accurate and measures both sides. We had Stages and had some issues, so switched to Quarq and have no problems. Their customer service is great too.

Power measured in the cranks is more accurate than power measured in the pedals.

Here are a few helpful articles:

3 Likes

A power meter is on my Christmas gift to me list this year :sweat_smile: i did just break down and ordered a cycling training desk today - found one for only a few $ over $100 so not the Wahoo - but all the reviews said the W branded one isnt worth the extra $ so looking forward to that at least

3 Likes

I have the Favero Assioma Duo Pedals. They are almost in sync with the readings with my Neo 1 and the numbers also correspond to a real lactate threshold test I took with a professional, i feel they are a good choice. Very easy to set up and calibrate.

2 Likes

I have the Power Tap chainrings. They were pretty much the only option that fits my crazy setup- short cranks, speedplay pedals, and not wheel based. The price was right and I’ve been happy with it but it was discontinued when Power Tap got bought out.

2 Likes

The crank power meter it is :slightly_smiling_face:… just received big surprise and early birthday present from husband LIV LANGMA ADVANCED PRO 0 DISC 2019

was not expecting a new bike for another 18 months… so excited :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

woohooo!!! :partying_face:

1 Like

I just bought the Favero Assioma Duo…can’t wait to test them!

4 Likes

@mariannamarcucci I am so excited to look at your outdoor rides with power!!!

1 Like

I’m considering these vs the Assioma Uno’s. Is there an advantage/disadvantage between the two models?

I was wondering that too before my choice, basically the UNO registers only one leg, the left, and it gives very partial data on power. You don’t know if you have to calibrate power between your legs because you know only one. The DUO registers both legs with all the differences you can imagine. I would not suggest to buy the UNO, as per all the reviews I’ve read, opinions, etc the Favero duo are the most cost-effective, simple to calibrate before each ride, easy to change between bikes and Dual-channel BLE and ANT+ works with anything.
I said to myself that this is my very very very early Christmas gift! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Me too!!! I’m very curious!!!

1 Like

Thank you @mariannamarcucci! Those were my thoughts precisely. I think having the feedback from both legs if much preferable! And yes, these will be a Christmas gift (but alas, for someone else) so I can also justify the cost. :wink: When I did some research I found that DCRainmaker had a 10% discount code, but Favero Customer Service said it didn’t apply - HOWEVER - they did mention that they’d likely go on sale for the November Black Friday sale. So now I wait and watch…

2 Likes

I have a quarq power meter on my road bike and a stages single on my gravel bike. TR bike stays on trainer so I have power readout there. I LOVE my quarq.

1 Like

I’m absolutely hopeless when it comes to find anything at any sale/black friday/blue monday/Green tuesday and so on…I always arrive too early or too late :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Wow-new bike days are the BEST!! Enjoy :ok_hand:t2::two_hearts:

Regarding power pedals, which I know nothing about…are there any platform SPD compatible power meter equipped pedals that people recommend?

1 Like

I did my first outdoor ride with the Assioma Dual power pedals yesterday and came home to all kinds of “numbers” to ponder. There is a balance one (right/left power) that I knew it would be all over the place. Surprisingly, I ended up about 50%/50%)! I’m sure that the fact that I kept thinking about engaging my left leg more than usual made a difference. :blush:
The other number I saw that surprised me was the pedal stroke efficiency, which is in the 20-21% respectively. :face_with_monocle: that seems like a very low number… any thoughts?

1 Like

@Silje What type of power meter do you use in your mountain bike? I use spd pedals and 165 crank arms. I had a stages crank arm power meter on the hard tail MTB but got a full suspension and the stages power meter I have is not compatible…

1 Like