Pre-event and race nutrition (also relevant for long, intense workouts)

And of course I should know that! :roll_eyes: Taking time for all this to sink in my brain! lol :upside_down_face: Thanks!

1 Like

Even the pros mess up! This is what can happen when you are not on point with your nutrition and hydration during events. BTW, Laura won this year’s Unbound 200 (Former Dirty Kanza), so ahe is not new to gravel.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRMHumnFOpB/?utm_medium=copy_link

I am revisiting the thread proactively, which is not like me, at all! I have been really struggling with intermittent nausea lately and having trouble getting enough calories in during this heatwave. I already know that the last few races I’ve done, I cannot stomach solid food but this article suggested smoothies! I don’t want to wake anyone up in the morning so I think I will mix up in a Shaker container the night before but I’m thinking a mashed banana, almond milk, some syrup, maybe a little coffee? Should I add in some protein powder? Anything else I should add in that would be easy to shake up and not actually blend?
-Angie

That’s a good option @adm0629 and yes, you could add whey protein powder or BCAAs/EAAs if the ride/workout is longer than 2hs, otherwise no need to add protein… but a mashed banana requires blending. Avoid fiber and fats. Maybe you could prepare @Stefanie’s “ice cream” the night before?

I’ll look it up! Thank You!

I have blended up smoothies the night before and then I just shake them up well in the morning. The texture isn’t perfect that way, but it’s pretty good. Beware, add whey powder to a smoothie LAST- it foams up when you blend it and I’ve made some impressive messes that way. It does settle down as it sits though.

2 Likes

@Coach_Theia and everyone else, a while back Coach you shared pre-race nutrition routines. I have been mostly following those. Recently you mentioned that you do something different before races. When you have time would you be able to revisit pre-race nutrition and timing? I would also love to hear what works for others. (I am not vegan or vegetarian) Thank you!

@bkolden brought your post to this nutrition thread so it won’t get lost in the shuffle.

The adjustments I made were to eat a bit less carbs and a bit more protein the hours before a long or hard ride, and shifted the additional carbs to my recovery meal + snack instead (starting within 30 min of finishing). With that, about 50% of my daily total carb intake is in the hours surrounding the ride/event, and the rest of the meals of the day are lighter on carbs (about 30g) – note that this is consistent with what the Fuelin app tells me in terms of timing. I also consume in the lower end of the grams in carbs than this post suggests. Having said that, if my event was long 3+hs, I’d likely eat more carbs before.

I made these changes for morning rides only- I haven’t yet had the chance to race mid-day (i.e., ZRL), but my plan is to stick to the same plan I have described above. Last ZRL season (last year) I had way too many carbs and kept feeling bloated and didn’t feel like it helped my performance.

The thing to keep in mind is that these are guidelines, and you have to try and see what works for you. If you don’t already, I’d recommend using an app that tracks macros, such as the Lose it app. It’s very user-friendly and you can have a much better idea of what you are eating and adjust as you go.

@bkolden below is some additional info. As it turns out, my daily carb intake falls squarely into what Dr. Sims recommends for women in this post. It’s a handy guide!

1 Like