Riding Zwift on a spin or gym bike with an app that estimates power!

Wanted to share an app that I am testing this week that allows you to ride Zwift on a gym / spin bike. The app is called HR2VP. It uses your HR and it estimates/converts your effort into watts and it transmits the estimated power via Bluetooth to Zwift.

It’s very easy to use. All you need is a HR monitor, the app on your phone, and Zwift either on your phone or tablet. It’s a handy way to ride Zwift while traveling when all you have is a gym.

I tested on a spin bike in the AirBnB I am staying, but the bike is way too old. I will try to go to a gym this week and do some more testing, but my first test worked out pretty well. I just wasn’t able to go hard just yet - to give you an idea, I was afraid of getting tetanus from the bike :rofl:

I’ll keep you all posted.

5 Likes

Update- this worked pretty well actually. Once you get familiar with how the heart rate is converted into power by writing it for a bit, you can keep up in group rides etc. Overall, I think it’s a good option if you are like me and really don’t like riding a spin bike, staring at nothing…

see IG post: 360 Velo on Instagram: "Ride Zwift while traveling without a bike! We recently tested the HR2VP app that converts heart rate into virtual power (watts) so you can ride Zwift, RGT, Rouvy, etc. on any gym bike. All you need is a HR monitor, the app on your phone, and a tablet or laptop to run Zwift. You can even do your structured workouts. Just keep in mind that HR increases/decreases lag a few seconds behind a change in effort, so it might take a few seconds for the app to reflect a change in virtual watts. It’s not as accurate as a power meter, but the algorithm is close enough to be useful and make riding more fun when away from your trainer. Tag your friends who might find this useful and please comment below if you’ve tried the HR2VP or other similar app 👇 #zwift #gozwift #virtualcycling #cycling #cyclingworkout #spinbike #gymbike #cyclingtips #workoutday #bike #bikelife #endurancetraining"

PS - you need to have the HR2VP app open at all times, which is kind of a pain… so I use the HR2VP on my phone and Zwift on my iPad.