Saddle sores!?!? Help!

Talk about bad timing… I suffered with subcutaneous cysts for YEARS until I finally got a professional bike fit from a reliable fitter. At one point one of my cysts was so big it was almost the size of an apricot! They were on the side/seat bones. Turns out I had a saddle that was too wide for me, plus needed changes in saddle height and handlebar reach. Bike fit changes are all connected, and that’s why only changing one thing (e.g., saddle) is not a good idea.

Take a look at this post about my experience.

Once I got the fit, the relief was immediate and the pressure was gone. I can see how it may take time to get adjusted to a new fit. For me, however, the fit was so amazing that I did not need any time to adjust. An alternative might be to try to get a fit ASAP then do 1-2 short rides and see how it feels. I have to believe that it can’t get worse than it is now!

Now onto trying to get the cyst to heal. This is what I used to do:

• Sit in the bath tub with warm/hot water for a few minutes a few times/day (as recommended by a dermatologist). The heat helps with the swelling and helps blood flow in the area.
  • Go commando as much as you can
  • Spray the area with a mix of water and a few drops of tea tree oil (I buy the tea tree oil and mix it in a small spritzer bottle)
  • Wash the area (but not the lady bits, so in this case the groin) with Hibiclens before each ride

Hope it gets better soon. Keep us posted!

1 Like