Sports Watch - which one do you use?

I got a question about sport watches and which ones are recommended. If you use one, please post the brand and model below, and why you like it. Thank you!

I have recently bought an Apple Watch series 4 and love it. It works really well with my iPhone too. I can use it for running, health and links up to Strava, It’s my first sports watch so I have nothing to compare it too. I receive all notifications such as text messages, emails etc (not cellular) Using the app on the phone you can edit which functions you want to see and use. I probably don’t use it too it’s full potential but I do wonder why it has taken me so long to buy one.

1 Like

I always read DC Rainmaker’s reviews.

I personally have a Garmin 935. It does everything, including handling stored input from a swim HRM.

2 Likes

I have two things,

A garmin 520 for rides outside. I’ve had it 4-5 years. I have different profiles for different types of rides. When I’m riding trails on my mtb I just want a few data fields, when I’m riding cx I want my power to show. It can also download routes and it had a map function (basic) to help me navigate. Its mounted to the bar.

I also have a Garmin Fenix 5 plus. It’s from myself to myself on my 40th birthday. I wear it all the time to track my life (I’m a data nerd) and other activities like strength, walking, xc skiing, ski hikes etc. I also like to keep track of my sleep and general heart rate. Because I have enabled HR reading all the time I need to charge it every 3.day, but it doesn’t bother me.

I’m a garmin fan :laughing:

1 Like

What a coincidence on this topic… we just were in the shops looking at garmin fenix 6x pro for my husband… waiting for boxing day sale to get it… we are garmin fans… I have his old vivoactiv 3… really like the fenix 6 sapphire
Quick summary of the fenix 6 and the old versions

1 Like

I use the garmin vivoactive 3 watch; I use it when on my MTB (use my garmin edge on my road bike to enable me to link to my garmin vector 3 pedals - yep another garmin fan😊). The vivoactive 3 has lots of different sports and activities it tracks which means I get to track paddle boarding in the summer, gym sessions and also link my MTB rides to Strava.
It’s also not too big which is great as I have huge small wrists.

2 Likes

I’ve had the 920 for years and it still works great. I initially bought back in my triathlon days but use frequently for regular bike, running and recovery swim days. They have a newer model which I’ve heard good things about as well.

1 Like

Thanks so much! Lots of great info!

I have the Garmin Vivoactive 3 with music - i had the Vivoactive HR before that. I love my Garmin - when I was first deciding to get one, I compared the Vivoactive HR and the comparable FitBit - similar in price point and really focused on the things I wanted vs nice to have - it came down to Garmin had a better underwater rating, even though I’m not a swimmer. I figured i would worry less if i got it wet taking a shower at the gym after i worked out. Garmin of course is great with GPS - i wanted GPS to track IRL rides - having the music now is a nice plus.

2 Likes

I’ve been using garmin watches for a long long time and I’m a big fan. Connecting and transferring activities is super easy (not great in edge cycling computers but I’ve never had issues with watches).
You can also create full workouts/intervals and transfer them to the garmin watch.
The only issue I’ve had with some older models of garmin watches is that the elevation metrics were messed up (even after calibration) but I think most of the newer models are using barometric pressure and the elevation metrics are much more accurate.
My other complaint is that most watches are huge (at least for women wrists) but love all the functions and sports my watch can track so I kind of got used to having a giant watch on my wrist :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I use a Polar M200. It can accommodate a variety of sports and has GPS.

1 Like

I’ve used both garmin (last one was a Fenix 2) and Suunto (currently the Baro 9, previously the Ambit 2). Both are excellent and pretty much do whatever. Suunto is Bluetooth connection so if you get any kind of external devices they will also pair with your phone (so if for some reason you don’t have the watch you can always use an app). It’s extremely easy to switch exercises on the fly and to change battery life modes while recording. Check out DC rainmaker and take into consideration what all you want it to do and cost.

2 Likes

I use Garmin Fenix 5s. I have no problem with this watch I like to weare the whole time to see all the figures like @Silje :grin:
If i do not use the watch for cycling I have to put new power in once a week or 1.5 week… Ok even the 5s is very big for my small arm :joy:

When I cycle I use Garmin 830 because I would like to see the power and :heart: rate the whole time… And it is more easy to look in front a little bit down on the 830 then to hold the arm, keeping cloths away to look at the watch.

I have the Garmin Fenix 5S and previously had the Vivoactive HR. One of the features I like the best is the wrist HR - *when it works, ugh. I hate wearing a chest strap but this methodology is downright unreliable. Sometimes, my exercise HR doesn’t register on the watch until 20 mins in, and that’s wetting my wrist and tightening the straps and wearing it on the inside of my wrist (the Fenix is even worse on the top side). The GPS is great and I LOVE wearing it for hiking and paddleboarding. The Fenix has buttons but the HR had a touch screen that I thought was more efficient/user friendly. I tried researching for a better wrist HR solution before buying the Fenix but the technology will get better, eventually - I hope!
-Angie

@adm0629 I recently added a Polar OH1, which you wear on your upper arm. It is more comfortable, and doesn’t get as sweaty as a chest strap. It has a good reputation for accuracy. (I like my Garmin 935, but the heart rate monitor is not very accurate. I think part of it is that it’s such a large watch, and I have a small wrist.)

1 Like

My Suunto has the wrist HR. Per their instructions it should be 2 finger width for normal wear 1 for activities (or something like that). Usually I just leave it place (just under 2) and it’s fine but sometimes it won’t read. So I move my road ID from my other wrist to between the watch and wrist. Holds the watch in place and after a few minutes I don’t really notice it. I’ve also jammed shirt sleeves in the bottom part of the band to hold it in place.

I have the Garmin Fenix 5S Plus with the sapphire finish on the screen. I like the watch a lot – bought it primarily for open water swimming (the Vivo series cannot track open water I believe) and sailing…but I haven’t yet used it for the former :wink: (actually haven’t swam at all in over a year!).

I really like that it is dressy enough to wear to work and the sapphire screen has held up perfectly - - not a scratch in a year and a half of not being particularly kind to it. On the bike I have an antique - - an Edge 705!! If I didn’t need the satellites for open water or if I thought I was done with multi-sport stuff like triathlon, I honestly think the Vivo series would have done every thing I needed (and with better battery life). Also, I actually have a chest strap synced to Zwift and have to say the wrist HR on my Fenix 5S Plus and the chest strap are nearly identical when ever I check in on them.