Spring 2020 cycling camps?

Hi Ladies! Looking for information on camps that you are considering or committing to. I still haven’t decided what I’m doing next year for a team so my plans are far from set but it seems folks are in the planning stages, already.
-Angie

I’ve never done a training camp. Put me down for intrigued.

Likewise-intrigued

Here are some considerations when thinking about training camps. Note this is not the same as adventure riding or tour/tourism riding.

Overall, some common objectives to all training camps are:

1. Get a hard block of training that will stimulate the body in a way you would not otherwise do on your own, with the goal of pushing the body to get a “bump” in fitness as a result.
  2. Provide for an environment that allows you do do #1 by focusing exclusively on training, resting, sleeping well, and eating well without having to do any work or worry about the chores of your daily life. You live the life of the pros for a few days. Everything is done for you, including SAG support, rest stop feedings, and bike mechanics.
  3. Practicing riding in a group.

There are usually three types of training camps: mileage-focused, skills-focused, and event-specific.

Mileage-focused camps are designed to build volume, meaning, you spend a lot of time riding for several days in a row. These can be on the road or gravel. This is a good option for riders who are still working on building a solid base by increasing time in the saddle, getting back-to-back long distance rides in the course of 3-5 consecutive days. This type is also a good option for learning how to draft, ride in a group, do rotations, etc. Or if you just want to get away to a beautiful warm place in the middle of the winter!

Skills-focused camps usually have shorter daily distances than the mileage-focused camps, and are focused on more advanced skills such as riding in and out if the saddle, pacing on a climb, race simulations, personalized feedback, and more.

Event-focused camps are those designed to help you train to participate in a challenging event, such as a long gravel event (e.g., Dirty Kanza), hill-climb race, etc.

Also, make sure to read all the details about the camps, to know what’s included and what’s not, where you would stay, etc.

Here is a post from @dfriestedt when he did a CTS Camp a while back with his review and recommendations.

I have attended Vision Quest camps in the past and they are good camps, usually at great locations and with everything included. These fall into the “mileage-focused” category explained above.

I have also attended CINCH Cycling camps, and they are more advanced and skills-based. This one is an eye opener for those who have been doing regular camps, as Tom Danielson puts the riders through challenging (but always fun and engaging) scenarios.