Standing intervals on the trainer - proper form

Hello All! As promised, here is a brief video demonstrating the proper form when doing standing intervals on the trainer. Please post any questions/comments below!

https://vimeo.com/360velo/review/364297832/99abe5fcf6

4 Likes

@sjelinski @PaleGail

Thanks @Coach_Theia!!! I tried to think about what you said in this while doing the 5.3.3 workout today - its going to take awhile to master for sure - but it was really helpful! i still need to also work on smoothing out my pedaling while standing too

1 Like

It takes a lot of practice… so keep at it and you will master it before you know it!

1 Like

Yes!!! Awesome @sjelinski!!

Today, Theia and I were doing standing, 1’ VO2 intervals with power changes and shifting. Afterwards, I was looking at Theia’s power control. It is pretty impressive. The start of the effort does not spike, and the transition does not drop. Not much to change here.

3 Likes

Niiiice job @Coach_Theia! Your interval drills are helping us in mastering our power control, but I’ve got nothing like that! Super impressive! Hope you’re enjoying your Thanksgiving!

Thanks @Betsylink I started from not being able or knowing how to stand on the bike, like everyone else. What you see in this video is a result of 2 solid years of standing work done several times a week. Like everything new, it takes time and I hope this video is helpful in showing body position and shifting. I am able to climb better and use standing to vary power output and recruit different muscles to go longer with less fatigue.

4 Likes

Thank you for the video!

1 Like

Hi Coach - I can pedal out of saddle in real life cycling, but at home on the trainer I find it really challenging. Feel like I am mashing my knees and it is “lumpy” and unsmooth…

Great video, what type of trainer do you have? You seem to get a bit of sideways movement.i am always a bit nervous about bike coming off trainer :roll_eyes:

@laura.brunnen indoors is harder because the bike is static on the trainer. The key is a strong core, and engaged glutes and hamstrings, so that you can support yourself without putting too much weight on the handlebars. By using your glutes, hip flexors and hamstrings, you are able to pull up on the pedals just as much as you push down. The feeling you have of mashing your knees is probably because you are not pulling up - and only pushing down. It takes practice, practice, and some more practice. It took me years to get to where I am, by practicing every week!!

@paulamunt I have a Tacx Neo and yes, it does have some side to side movement, which is very helpful. Others use a rocker plate, like @goldendogy.

Here is a video of how this technique translates out on the road:

1 Like