Stretches for cyclists

Here is a sequence of stretches recommended for AFTER a bike workout or ride. It can also be done at anytime - just not recommended for before a ride or workout. I do these real time so you may follow along!

8 Likes

Some have asked for hamstring-specific stretching:

HAMSTRING STRETCHING

• Standing forward bend with legs hip width apart
  • Standing forward bend with legs wide and toes pointing slightly in (this also stretches the IT bands)
  • On the floor, kneeling on one leg and stretching the other straight in front of you; bend forward to increase stretch

Here are a few more hamstring stretches:

• Sitting on the floor, both legs together straight in front of you, feet flexed (toes point to ceiling), reach for toes with a straight back (hinge at the hips)
  • Same as above, but one leg at a time and put leg slightly out (diagonal)
  • Sitting on a chair (this can be done at work, anytime)- stretch one leg up parallel with the floor, feel flexed/toes pointing up, and hinge forward from the hips

Plus:

For the one on your back, you can start by holding your legs with your hands (on your thigh), over time you can transition to a wall and then the towel as shown below:

The one below can also be done with the foot of the leg being stretched on a step, block, or chair, then bed, table as you get more flexible:

As you can see, you’ll never get bored!!!

** hold stretches between 10 and 30 seconds**

1 Like

@bkolden and @Kriddley see above

1 Like

@Coach_Theia, thanks so much!! :grinning:

I just paid a visit to my naturopath. I am having some hip issues and I wanted to get it checked out. He said im not using my glutes which is causing my issue. My yoga instructor has told me the same thing many, many times. Do you have any suggested exercises or stretches primarily for hour glutes?

1 Like

@Reneea2002 that has been my issue for so long. I got a personal strength training program this year to target that. I now do the strength program @Coach_Theia has on our plans and sub in the exercises I can’t do due to issues in my nech and AC joint.

@Reneea2002 I made a glutes activation workout video- check this post

Thank you!

Is activating a muscle the same as like strengthening and working it out?

@Reneea2002 not necessarily. It all depends on (1) how hard or new the movements are/feel for the person; and (2) the number of reps and/or wether weights are added.

Muscle activation works to build neuromuscular pathways, so that the muscles fire-up in a certain pattern. It’s like a “whisper”. It is not designed to stimulate muscle growth. Having said that, you might feel sore when you start activating muscles that are underused, so there is some level of conditioning/strength also happening - but that subsides after a few sessions.

Hope this answers your question.

1 Like

Just came across this super helpful video from Jess targeting the hip flexors (which have been bothering me lately). Interesting how she recommends using the foam roller - nothing like what I have been doing up until now!!

This one is also helpful on hip mobility

She has other great videos on her channel on stretching, activation and the dynamic warm up we do before strength workouts:

2 Likes

@Coach_Theia these are amazing stretches. I have been doing them 2x week in conjunction with stretches from a PT I follow. My hip flexors are happier.

@Coach_Theia - thank you for sharing. I like that she explains exactly what she’s targeting and why and also that she points to the areas. I also liked your video on the stretches & putting my feet against the wall has really helped when I push on my knees to open the hips. My right hip flexor has always been a little tight & these techniques are definitely going to help. Plus they’re fun. thanks !