Today’s Plan vs Training Peaks

Ok experts … I have a trial of Today’s Plan and a paid for TrainingPeaks account just now which will renew soonish.

Anyone got any views on what they see as main pro’s of either of these?
I haven’t really got my head round all the latest data options… and I’m keen to, but would like to get the experience and wisdom of the collective…
Who uses which one, and why?

2 Likes

I use the premium versions of both Training Peaks and Today’s Plan, so my comparison will be for the premium accounts. I prefer Today’s Plan, as explained below, but it is not for everyone- or even necessary for athletes who are just starting to get into data analysis of workouts, etc.

Today’s Plan

I like Today’s Plan better because it has more ways to slice and compare data. Hey, I am a Coach and I like to nerd out on as much data as possible. It is much more detailed than Training Peaks. To give you an example, I can add lines to the graph of a given workout showing the different target powers. The Dashboard has lots of graphs comparing PRs, training zones, HR averages, etc month by month or year by year. The list goes on, but you get the idea.

Training Peaks

Training Peaks does not have the same detailing features as Today’s Plan, but it has sufficient information for those who don’t like or don’t need to get deep into the numbers and graphs. It is more intuitive to use and the app is way better than Today’s Plan’s app. I typically recommend that my athletes get Training Peaks until they get so much into it that they want to spend more time analyzing their data.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Thank you for the nice comparison. I don’t review my workout numbers like I should, especially since I’m such a big math and science nerd. Maybe one of my goals for next year will be to understand more of the science.

2 Likes

I got a coupon for premium training peaks. I have the premium Strava. Which is better and why?

@Gossimrr between the two I’d would opt for TrainingPeaks. Strava premium gives you more data than the basic Strava, but it is not as accurate and not as useful as TP. With TP premium you are also able to keep better track of best times, achievements, look at your training load over time and- the most useful feature- able to move workouts around your calendar as you wish.

1 Like

Thank you, that was my thought as well.

I was just looking for the same question.

I’m becoming a new cyclist! thanks @Coach_Theia for the advise about Training Peaks for beginners.

I was looking for an app which helps me out to figure out which kind of training I must need. Just as if I have a coach helping me.

I’m going out for training 3-4 times a week. I’ve been cycling for about barely 6 moths. Normaly on route biking, sometimes on MTB.

I must say that perhaps paying a perrsonal coach will be difficult for me since I have no income at all. So I was looking for an app that helps me to build the plans while I get to understand how to do it by myself.

I understand Tranining Peaks doesn’t help users to build traning plans. Does it?

Which one do you recomend? Still Training peaks? Since I’m a beginner I have no clue where and how to start a good training plan.

Hi @ileonm! Training Peaks does not help users build training plans. You’d have to do it yourself - and Training Peaks is easy to use to build workouts, but you will need to pay for a Premium account and will need to know what types of workouts to build. Because you are so new to cycling and are interested in cycling training, I recommend reading this useful and short Cycling Training for Beginners guide. There are a few good book recommendations at the bottom of the post.

There are also apps that allow you to access training plans, but they are not free (for example, The Sufferfest, Trainer Road, Zwift, etc.)

Hope this helps.