Virtual Ride Across the West (RAW)

Ok, so my own personal RAW starts on Saturday! I am excited and nervous too, but mostly excited. My plan is to do 930 miles and 56,600 feet of climbing over the course of 9 days. Since I have never done anything like this before there may need to be adjustments and I’m telling myself it’s ok if it turns out I need more than 9 days. For curiosity I checked the IRL RAW results from last year. There were only 5 solo women in the race and all were under 50. First place finished in a little over 2 days and last place in about 3 1/2 days! The over 50 male winner finished in just over 3 days. There was definitely very little sleeping going on!

I’m attaching my schedule in case anyone wants to visit me. I was thinking of having the 360VELO discord channel open if anyone wants to say hi though I won’t have my earbuds in all the time so if you drop in, give me a second :smiley:. My old eyes have a hard time seeing zwift messages without my reading glasses but I will have them on hand too so I can pop them on just in case.

I’ll be starting my days as close to 6:30 a.m. central U.S. time as I can mange.

14 Likes

Love this @Stefanie!

@Nessa84 we could adapt this and do a virtual RAB LEJOG in September if you’re not allowed to travel up here by then! Timescale is the same just that mileage is a bit less (Not sure about climbing but I think that’s less than LEJOG too) so we could easily beef it up?!!

3 Likes

Best wishes!

1 Like

Take it and make it your own @Tracyligemagreen and @Nessa84. Several of my route choices were made so I can finish all the zwift route badges, otherwise there are a few I would have plotted differently :smiley:

2 Likes

Tipping my hat to you @Stefanie! Wishing you the best.

1 Like

Impressive! I am going to be away from Zwift on Sunday. Maybe I can get up early and join you on part of London PRL. Are we friends on Zwift? Are you the woman with the squirrels on her arm as your Zwift profile photo? Just want to make sure if I log in to Zwift and choose “Join rider” that I choose the correct Stephanie on the off chance that there is another Stephanie I know riding in London Sat AM!!

Or are they otters?

@Stefanie this is so exciting that it deserves its own post/category in the forum, so I moved it here!

4 Likes

Good luch @Stefanie! If I am dropping by Zwift I will join you :smiley:

2 Likes

@reservoircat, yes I’m the one with the zwift profile photo of Squirrel Girl :grin: Though that would be totally awesome if they were otters!

2 Likes

So excited for you!! Will stop by if I can- you got this​:hugs::hugs:

2 Likes

@Stefanie I am sooooo excited for your challenge and will be cheering wildly for you from the sidelines and hopefully for a few stretches on the bike! You are mega fast and I don’t want to slow you down (or kill myself :joy:), so it might also be a virtual drop in to say hi. You have the mental and physical fortitude to achieve this, we all know that and believe in you 100%!!! Have an amazing week, I know your hubster will be keeping you well nourished and emotionally supported as you take Zwiftlandia by storm! :heart: :heart: :heart:

4 Likes

Thanks @mpatton! Thanks @hollybw! I imagine about Tuesday or Wednesday next week I won’t be all that fast :grin:

1 Like

What a great idea! I’m super impressed with your ability to make the best of a non optimal situation! I’ll be cheering you on.

2 Likes

Wow @Stefanie! That is one crazy challenge. I know you don’t need it but I will wish you good luck anyway and like the others I will keep an eye on your progress and cheer from the sidelines.

1 Like

Thanks @Peter!

@Stefanie you are going to do awesome! Maybe Mon am I can join you for a bit. I will try the discord tomorrow so maybe we can root each other on even if we’re on different routes

1 Like

@Stefanie if I can work out the time zone difference and my crazy work schedule I’ll try to drop in and ride a few miles with you. You know we will all be there with you in spirit :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Day one done! Thanks for the ride ons and encouragement! My first few laps I had the company of a REVO teammate, then I got the company of @meganherzog. I got some messages from @PaleGail. @Coach_Theia popped by on Discord and Liz dropped in to ride along too. It was great! Breakfast, snack, hydration all went well. The hardest part was remembering I have more long days ahead and keeping the pace down. Also hard to remember that I am fueling for 9 days just not one so eating when I am not hungry was hard, especially in the last hour when I usually don’t eat. Had oatmeal for breakfast, a bowl of cereal around 65/70 miles that had fresh strawberries from the garden in it, ride snack bites every 20 minutes, and for recovery a bowl of brown rice porridge with flax and chia seeds, sunflower butter, raisins, and the rest of the garden raspberries from last year. I’m now sitting with my feet up and will attempt to read a book without falling asleep :grin:
Photos: Megan, ride snacks (I did not eat the whole bowl), breakfast, ride timeline

8 Likes

Well done @Stefanie!!! Rocked it!!!

2 Likes