Zwift racing as an esport cycling discipline officially recognized by the UCI

The UCI announced today that it has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Zwift for the governance and development of cycling esports as a new cycling discipline. It will be interesting to see how they will “establish requirements that guarantee the speciality meets the standards of sporting integrity and fairness necessary for all UCI-sanctioned disciplines” Maybe through new indoor bikes that connect with Zwift (and Zwift knows you are using it) and have a scale built-in to prevent weight cheating and will not need calibration? Note also the planned launch of the UCI Cycling Esports World Championships in 2020. Interesting times.

2 Likes

I’m not going to be someone that races in this but i do find it interesting and will enjoy following this.

@PaleGail I think it will be a while until this filters through to amateur cyclists like us anyway. It will indeed be interesting to watch it develop. I also hope this will encourage more women to participate in the sport, as I believe indoor cycling appeals to a much larger women population when compared to outdoor racing.

I believe its the future of the sport. As soon as I can get my hands on one I’ll be investing in a Smart Bike. I agree lots to sort out, however there is merit being there from the start to ensure the “amateur” side is taken care of.

How far has Zwift come in the last few years. I remember being totally disappointed I just missed the first 10,000 beta testers.

1 Like