Zwift Racing League Fall 2020

@PaleGail congrats.

1 Like

Congrats!!
I saw on the WTRl group that there were quite a few teams who messed up the starts. If only there was another time to practice these:)

Thanks @vivian.a.workman!! I am sure there there a boatload of teams that goofed up - even through the info is very clear, people do not read, etc. I feel for the WTRL guys (all 2 of them) as I know they have been working night and day to get this all off the ground - i kinda regret it almost every time i look at the WTRL page - read people! There are a few things that youā€™ve had to dig through the FB page to figure out but overall its been pretty straight forward.

Any insights or suggestions for next weekā€™s race @Coach_Theia?

1 Like

@Coach_Theia i keep meaning to ask, how did you do in the CINCH national championships!!! I was all worried when i checked the PL ZRL feed Monday and you werenā€™t riding until i saw your post.

@PaleGail @vivian.a.workman where on the WTRL does it show that teams messed up their start? Thanks
I messed up my start on Thursdays TTT, I got stuck in the pen and had to sprint after the team.:grimacing: I must have looked like a rabbit in headlights I was that shocked :grin: Itā€™s funny how something that is supposed to be fun can make you so nervous :laughing:

I saw comments on the Facebook page about it and the mods joking with a few teams. Apparently a few didnā€™t know how the starts worked and took off at the wrong time, took off with other groups and so on. Not sure if they are penalizing for the first event or not.

1 Like

I love reading this thread about your experiences. Congrats on the upgrade @PaleGail !

I am captain of my team in the A cat in EU West time slot but havent been able to ride yet, because of puppy class. My partner will do the next class so I can race Richmond, which is one of my favourite courses, suits my punchy legs a lot.

3 Likes

@vivian.a.workman Thanks. Iā€™ve joined both WTRL TTT and Racing League Facebook Groups. I was told by my team that it was an instant DQ if anyone so much as moved in the pen before they were supposed to once the barrier had come down. (No pressure :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

I am currently in 3rd in my age cat but there is still one session to be scored. Itā€™s been fun! We are scored on execution, strategy, skills, and nutrition. I will post videos of two of my tests.

As for next weekā€™s raceā€¦ Richmond UCI (my favourite race course in Zwift). The first sprint (for points) is very close to the start, about 5 minutes in, so if you have teammates that can put down a killer effort for that send them flying! I think this race will start harder than all others right out of the gate because of that first sprint point. Thatā€™s also when the first separation will likely happen. Also, careful on the down hill after Broad St. Thatā€™s a great place to accelerate and try to drop people- although this is probably something you will see in the higher cats (A/B). If you have done the hills at the end you should have an idea of the power you can do for the duration. Libby Hill is the steepest, so attention to shifting so you donā€™t drop your chain. Always acccelerate at the top and into the downhil and donā€™t take a break there- keep going!!!

5 Likes

Yeah, that comment is aimed at me!! hehehe. Learned that lesson. See you all on Libby Hill!

1 Like

Good Luck everyone racing on Tuesday

2 Likes

Richmond UCI, and as I suspected, it was ALL OUT from the gate to the first sprint banner, and shortly thereafter the first split happened. I managed to set a 6 min best ever PR from pen to sprint banner, got 8th overall in the sprint among the big dogs, then nearly died as my HR was at 192 bpms. Thatā€™s what happens when you have a sprinter sprint at the start of a race :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Crush it everyone!!

5 Likes

Well done @Coach_Theia :muscle: :grinning: 6 minutes PR :clap: :clap: I am finding that these races are bringing out the best in everyone. At 192 bpm my race would be over :hot_face:

They changed the sprint finish to only the first 3 across the line. I like to sprint but no way will I be able to keep up with the top three sprinters in the race. My plan is too hang on for dear life and hope to finish top 30.

@kellynoelharman Good luck to you also :hugs: and too all those racing :biking_woman::dash::dash:

1 Like

Well done Coach!

Wow! Thats amazing and a small victory in itself :slight_smile: The starts of these races are suprt hard and i can vividly imagine the effort that it takes to sprint on top of that.

Is that screenshot from trainingpeaks? I doesnt look familiar!

Thank you everyone! When you know you canā€™t finish top 10 in the field, you have to look for your own personal targets/progressā€¦ @Silje that screen shot is from Todayā€™s Plan.

3 Likes

One last tip for todayā€™s race. You have to start accelerating as soon we you hit the hair pin right before the first sprint, and start your sprint BEFORE the green dotted line, using the draft from the group to go faster.

2 Likes

That is hoping I am in a group!!! HeHe :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be using the draft just to hang on :rofl: Thanks for the tip :+1:

2 Likes

Congratulations to @nina :muscle: :grinning: What a race :clap: :clap:

Well done to all who raced :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like