Bike Fit Report - the before and after

@kellynoelharman do you prefer one bike brand over another? Think about that as it may influence your choice of shop - if you’re not looking for a specific bike or bike brand and its more about the bike shop, that’s cool - just think about which is more important to start and then go from there - and yes buying a car would be much easier! The last time i got a new car, i traded in for the same car/model/color just a newer year :rofl:

@kellynoelharman I did a new bike purchase differently. I had my old bike and it was completely wrong for me. We could not do much to make it better. I had pain and everything. My husband at the time bought it for me and it was never right. And we are no longer married I guess it was telling.
I went and got a bike fit in the Retul by GURU. My fitter then told me which stock bikes were beat for my geometry. I wound up getting a midrange custom titanium bike. I’ve had it 7 years and live it. I have had it tweaked. Changed out the stem. Shorter crank arms and a different seat. All have been good changes.
The body is dynamic and changes over time. So a bike fit every few years is key.
Good luck.

2 Likes

Oh @kellynoelharman a new bike in the works! :heart_eyes: The LBS where I bought both my road and gravel bikes is amazing. Before they even started showing me bikes we had a long conversation about what I planned to do on the bike. When I said road riding then they delved into what kind of road riding (crits? road races? charity rides? long endurance? etc). It really makes a difference. So before you start shopping, have a clear idea of how you plan to ride that bike.

The shop I bought my bikes from is not the same place where I had the fitting done. I went to a different local shop where the guy doing the fitting had 20+ years experience doing it. Before we even got started we talked about what kind of riding I do, he tested my flexibility and core strength, and then I got on the bike. He took measurements and did video capture and it was an all around fantastic experience. When I got my gravel bike I went back to him to fit that one too. It’s been a few years now, so when COVID is no longer an issue it’s time to go back for some adjustments.

Good luck shopping and have fun! Don’t let yourself be pressured into a bike that doesn’t feel right. You will know the right bike when you find it!

2 Likes

I would suggest being very warmed up from the bike when you test ride bikes and when you arrive at your fit so you know what feels good/right. Come prepared with notes about what you don’t like currently and what you want to change, so you don’t forget, in your excitement and overwhelm. All of my current bikes elicited almost a euphoric response during the test rides that let me know it was the right choice - some from the giddy up, others from the smoothness. Any doubt in your gut about a bike will probably not go away, or even about the customer service you receive. Good luck!
-Angie

3 Likes

Just seeing this thread now. Thank you so much @kellynoelharman for starting this conversation and to all of you who replied with such wonderful info.

On Saturdays I ride with some LIV ambassadors and a few of the other women are connected to bike shops. They are a lovely bunch and many live local so I think I’ll start to ask around there too.

I’m just so tired of my noisy bike never really being ‘in gear’ and I just know I’ll be more in sync when it is in sync! Or is that wishful thinking :thinking::crazy_face:

I think my problem is going to be knowing what ‘good’ feels like. This is the first bike I’ve had and so I’ve got nothing to compare it to. Or, on a more optimistic note… the only way is UP!

I don’t have experience with LIV, but I admire the fact that they are one of the few companies that are still making bikes with “women’s” geometries. I understand that Trek and Specialized have decided that their data does not indicate the need for a women’s geometry, but I have the classic body type (proportionally longer legs than torso) that does well with that type of bike. I demo’d a Specialized Roubaix, and I didn’t think that I would ever be comfortable on it. And my bike fitter tried me on a Trek Domane, and did not recommend it. (Of course he then was able to sell me a custom bike, but I don’t think the profit margins are especially high on any type of bike.)

I love Liv @kswhite! my road bike is an Avail :heart_eyes:

When it comes to it, you will know what good feels like, it is an unmistakable feeling of rightness when everything fits like it should.

1 Like

Way back I had a Cannondale. With shifters on the tubes. I loved that bike. My husband at the time bought me another Cannondale. I hated it from day one. It was so uncomfortable. It was so wrong in every way. But I didn’t know better. I stupidly got rid of the first Cannondale because it was old. When I finally got the custom bike I have now, it was soooo much better. And as I changed, I changed things in the bike that made the fit, fit me as I changed as well. Does that make sense?

1 Like

Way, way back I had a Cannondale (1991 ST600). It was a touring bike, and had grip shifters, back when that was a thing. Even after “fit kit” modifications, I never quite bonded with it. I “handed it down” to my husband, who rode it for several years. He still likes Cannondales and is currently riding a Synapse.

1 Like

My first road bike was a Colnago (the one now on the trainer) and I love it! In fact, I am getting another Colnago. I also have a Trek Madone 9, the size is great but it’s one of the worst bikes to have serviced, because of all the “special” parts. I also have a Trek Boone 9 that I use for gravel and CX. I am not crazy about the Boone, it’s a bit heavy. I would not buy another Trek. Trek is very particular for parts - so that is something to consider.

Between rim breaks and disc I recommend disc, and if you can afford electronic shifting, definitely go for that!

1 Like

All of this is great information!! Thank you so much

2 Likes

This is all great intel from those ‘in the know’ . So cool that you have a Liv bike @Stefanie, I’ll definitely promote that to the 'ambassadors :slight_smile:
@CandaceC I bought my husband a Cannondale Synapse and he loves it. I think that’s when I first noticed the difference in sounds of our bikes on the trainers . His is soooooo quiet! I thought …hmmm, is this how it’s supposed to be?
@Gossimrr - I hear so much positive cycling growth in your ‘…as I changed, I changed things in the bike that made the fit, fit me as I changed as well’.
@Coach_Theia - great advice about the brakes and shifting.

I’m curious about supply up here in Canada. I was surprised to be able to get my Wahoo KIckr so quickly when many others were waiting. There are a few LBS around here and a ton of great ones in Vancouver. Certainly lots of stores, not sure about stock. We can ride here pretty much year round - road and/or mountain biking - as long as you don’t mind getting wet LOL so that makes me hopeful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I work at a bike shop and own multiple bikes (surprise, surprise). All of my bikes are from different bike manufacturers (Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Surly, Lynskey) and I tried different models before buying the ones I own.
First thing is deciding what you are going to do with the bike. Road, gravel, mountain, touring. Second- have a price in mind. If you are in the under $1000, your options will be less than if you can afford a carbon or titanium bike. Do some homework first. Ask questions. Don’t be afraid to wait. Bikes are in short supply right now, but they will be coming back.
You can get bike fit first and get a bike set up to your measurements.
If the bike feels too large, it is. I am a smaller rider and most bike shops do not have a lot of small bikes in stock. Ride different bike until you find the one that feels good. Many will make small changes at sale, smaller stem, smaller handlebars, different saddle for difference in price at purchase.
If you are getting into the $4000 and above price range, consider getting a custom made bike. Choose a frame, and build with proper fitting components or even frame and components built to spec. The price can be very close. We just built a Specialized Tarmac with full Campy components, carbon handlebars, separate carbon wheelset and choice of saddle for same price as stock bike from Specialized.
One thing you learn is there are no standards. All bikes have custom parts. Also, you can service your bike at any bike shop.

2 Likes

WOW @Petals this is SUPER helpful. I wish you lived around the corner! The customized route stresses me out withe even more decisions :exploding_head: AND, I know that having the right conversations along the way will build on that knowledge. Getting a fit first is a great idea - then to go from there. I know there is a place local that does that so I’ll look into that for sure. Thank you so much for you advice and practical wisdom! :slight_smile: :+1::clap:

2 Likes

Thank you for all your excellent advice. I spent today test riding bikes, and I found it. @Stefanie’s “unmistakable rightness.” Now, the wait begins.

Also, I had not ridden outside since last summer. I forgot how wonderful it is.

3 Likes

So, what are you getting?

So happy you found something @kellynoelharman! Are you going to leave us in suspense by not telling us what you are getting?

Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon. Not sure how long it will take to get here, but I am really excited about it.

5 Likes

WOW…so excited for you! Did you ride / test a few? What was it about this one that stood out to you? I was going to start the conversation with my LIV riding group this morning but I was doing a workout and had no energy for that …let alone a conversation LOL! So happy for you Kelly - you did it! WOO HOO…now it’s just the waiting.

I road 2 Specialized bikes, 2 Trek bikes, and a Cannondale. I narrowed it down to a Trek and the Specialized. I love the bike shop that sells Specialized bicycles, and it just felt right. I left balanced and comfortable.

7 Likes