Bike Fit Report - the before and after

@Coach_Theia - did I miss your write-up about your recent bike fit?! I’m very interested to hear the changes!
-Angie

Thanks for the reminder, Angie! So I decided to get a bike fit last October after I went to a CX clinic offered by local bike shop. The owner of the shop looked at me and asked “when was the last time you had a bike fit”? I was embarrassed to say… a long time ago when I got my very first bike and they did a fit at that time. Since then, I had just been making little adjustments on my own, including saddle changes – not very smart! He then offered me a free professional fit!

Issues I had before the bike fit

Before the fit, I was having the following issues:

• Saddle sores - On all my bikes (2 road and 1 CX), I had persistent saddle sores that were in fact subcutaneous cysts. Sometimes they got as big as a grape and one time it was so swollen I could not wear pants! My saddle was the ISM Adamo. Note that I had saddle discomfort when I first got my bike with a different saddle, but it was of a different kind- it was numbness- and I thought that had to do with the saddle having a longer nose- that is why I switched to the ISM and thought I had nowhere else to go from there… I tried everything- different shorts, different chamois creams, waxing, not waxing, you name it! Nothing helped.

• Knee pain - I used to get mild knee pain on my right leg from hard, long rides. Never attributed it to the wrong fit. Just thought I had a “bad knee”.

• Reach on handle bars - This one I knew had to do with fit. As I started riding in a more aggressive position overtime (more aero), I felt like my handle bars were too close to me, and I was putting too much pressure in the area between my thumb and index finger.

Corrections/changes made with the professional bike fit

• Type and position of saddle - changed to a MUCH narrower saddle, the Selle Italia SLR after trying 6 different saddles during the fit. They put the tester of my chosen saddle on my bike so that I could try it for a week or two before I decided this was “the one”. This choice surprised me completely! The saddle has a long nose that does not bother me at all!

• Saddle height - went a little higher

• Handle bar - she placed an extender to better match my reach, the bar height also changed.

• Cleat/shoe - turns out I have a 10 degree rotation on my right foot only. To correct that, she adjusted the cleat position and put in a wedge to correct it.

Results

UNBELIEAVABLE results:

• No saddle discomfort. No saddle sores. Even after 3 hs straight on the trainer. Completely GONE!!! YESSSSSSS!

• No more knee pain on right leg which was being caused by rotation of right foot

• No more pressure on hands

I am also told that the proper bike fit increases efficiency and with that, we go faster!

Check also these Top 5 Solutions for Saddle Sores in Cycling

#bikefit #saddlesores

Oh my! What a success story! I just can’t believe the changes/results. Incredible.

My husband just had one, last night - new saddle, lowered 1.5cm (!), new stem. Outcomes TBD.

I had a number of them done, from 2003-2010, but none since then. I definitely move around on my saddle A LOT and my hands have been going numb, recently. I guess it’s time!
-Angie

I agree! Go for it Angie and report back!

Last year I got a bike (Trek Dual Sport+) to ride to work and meander around town. My back was hurting on that bike. I felt I was such a wimp for going 3 miles max with battery assist and my back hurt. I took the bike to the fitter. He raised my seat, shorted the stem, and had me put larger flat pedals on the bike. I thought the changes were minor, but the back problem went away.

Crazy right?

Saddle sores. Ugghghh. Maybe TMI, but I’m dealing with one right now. Two days off the bike. I think I caught it in time, but still an inconvenience.

Coach Theia, how often do you recommend getting a bike fit? I had one 2 years ago, have not changed my bike or setup at all, and have not had any new issues pop up since the fit resolved all my prior issues. Do you go back (if no issues) to confirm nothing has changed? I assume if you do develop new issues a recheck is a good idea. Thanks!

The bike hasn’t changed, how about the rider? What was your level of experience 2 years ago and today?

2 years ago was the end of my first year of cycling. So maybe some tweaks would be identified if riding dynamic has changed some in the subsequent years of training?

Possibly. Often times riders are able to stay more aero, adopt a more aggressive riding position, and the most common adjustments in these cases are lowering the handle bar and a longer stem. But of course, when those change other things may need to get adjusted as well. But wait until closer to the outdoor season; no need to do it now- unless they have a special discount!