Blood work - what to test?

@Coach_Theia wasn’t sure where to post this - apologies if it’s on the wrong folder.
I’m considering getting a private blood work up but am not sure what are the key things to test; the test is quite expensive so I want to ensure I’m getting something useful that I can work with.
Having filled out a short questionnaire and advising I want to focus on fitness and mood they are suggesting Liver function, thyroid profile, advanced iron profile, vitamin B9 and B13 (active), vitamin D.
I know a few of those in this forum have regular blood work - do you find it useful? What are the key things to test that help with managing your physiology?

@Michelle heading out for my ride now, but will answer later. I assume you are requesting the basic test (in the US is referred to as SMAC-20, SMA-20, or Chem-20), plus some more specific ones that you want our opinions on?

Also, it would be helpful to know a list of any food groups you do not eat (e.g., dairy, red meat, etc.)

@Coach_Theia it seems to be a personalised test so the markers I listed are the things they will test; they have other tests on offer that just test cholesterol or liver function… I think you can basically design your own test and they charge a differing amount per item tested. It may well be that I need to do a bit more research and see what other companies offer.
As for food groups, I don’t have dairy, wheat or caffeine in my diet. I also try to avoid processed sugars. Red meat consumption is limited to once very 2 weeks. I take daily omega 3 supplements and am currently on antidepressants (20mg of citalapram per day).

@Coach_Theia and @Michelle
I did lab work for the first ten years of my career and it sounds like you’re talking about a basic Chem-12 or Chem-20 plus a thyroid panel, iron panel and the vitamins. A basic chem panel won’t include the thyroid and a complete bid count won’t include a detailed iron panel.
Coach can probably help you with what you really need. I wouldn’t decide based on a labs website marketing.

1 Like

This podcast has some very insightful information about nutrient deficiency and endurance athletes.

What I found particularly eye-opening was the discussion about iron levels: what to look for, why women athletes usually need more iron (sounds like we ALL might need it), and ideal levels. Most importantly, a general doctor will not read your lab results the same way, and may say someone does not need supplementation when in fact they do. Also interesting discussion on vitamin D levels and how overtraining can damage your heart.

Of note: feeling sluggish/low energy might be related to suboptimal iron levels (this will not show up as traditional “anemia”)!

@Gossimrr you might be interested in this topic as well…

Relevant discussion starts at around 22 min.

1 Like

@Coach_Theia, thanks for sharing! I have been dealing with vitamin D deficiency and normal but in the low end iron levels. Will listen to this for sure…

Will also give a listen. I am at low end of normal for iron and my ferritin stores are normal but I always wondered if they were “normal” for what I put my body through.
It’s a journey and I’m learning more. Listened to a plant based food podcast last night and learned a lot. So need to put that in practice too.
Learned that eating vitamin c goods post iron rich foods helps with absorption.

1 Like

Excellent information! My MD diagnosed low iron and D. One thing to be aware of is that iron supplements can cause gastric issues, particularly if taken with dairy and other supplements. Try to take it in between meals on its own.

1 Like

I’ve always had issues with iron supplements (going back to formula as an infant). I get extremely nauseous until I vomit up the offending supplement. Last years lab work checkup showed it was low. So I started experimenting. What works for me is 18mg of iron buffered by 30mg of Vit C. Once a day usually in the afternoon. Been taking it for about 8 months now with no issues. I take it along with Vit D, B complex and fish oil.

1 Like

I still need to listen to the podcast. I also read that eating non heme iron is best absorbed with Vit C rich foods.

@Michelle - did you take the test online? I am very interested in this thread. I’ve been highly fatigued the last couple of months and know I need levels tested, including hormones. I already identified iron and thyroid but am curious about the Vit Bs and D, as well. Thanks!
-Angie

1 Like

Hi @adm0629 there online tests available which I looked in to but were very expensive if I wanted to cover all the bases. Thankfully through the NHS here in the UK my Doctor did the tests for me, I’d been to see them about general fatigue, night sweats and general lethargy. They ran a number of panels to test hormones, iron etc.

1 Like

I’m sorry - I meant to say the questionnaire - did you take that online or at your doctor’s office? Thanks!
-Angie

I listened to this while walking in Florida. Very informative. Will be looking at my test results and comparing. Thanks for this.

1 Like