Carbs for amateur cyclists: A common-sense approach

We know carbs are necessary for performance during hard efforts, as we have discussed before. Further to this topic, we are often left wondering whether all the advice out there about eating carbs apply equally to all cyclists. Turns out we, amateurs/masters cyclists, don’t have the same needs as juniors and pros, or even elite cyclists.

I found this recent podcast with Dr Asker Jeukendrup to have a common-sense approach about carbs for the “rest of us”.

From the show notes: " Sports drinks, gels, and race food are focused on one thing—getting simple sugars from our mouths to our muscles. Research unequivocally supports their use for maximizing performance, but there’s also a mounting body of evidence that associates simple sugars with diabetes, heart disease, dementia, cancer, and other conditions. Because we care about both our performance and our health, we have to ask an important question: Where’s the balance?"

2 Likes

more on this topic for the Master athlete

I didn’t get to read the abundant evidence. As a vegan there is no way I could only eat 25g of carbs a day.

I’ve seen studies that support lower fat intake as the evidence supports that too much fat impacts on the pancreases ability to process the fat and that helps us to become IR. I may not have the pathway stated correctly here.

Interesting though that he changed his thinking and approach after 33 years. I hope I can read some of the other evidence.

Thanks for the article.

1 Like