Core III Workout

Hello All! Here is the Core III workout, which I will incorporate into your plans going forward. You may start doing them on the days you do not have a bike workout. So your week will look like this:

• Bike workout days - Core II
  • Days off the bike - Core III

Here is the sequence if you would like to start on these right away. I will work on getting a video as well, but wanted to share it now with a few images I snagged from the web:

• 10 cat/cows

• 2x15 back extensions with hands under chin

• Plank (on hands or forearms, alternate knee drops to the floor (2x20)

• Side plank on hand or forearm with hip drops (2x15 on each side)

• Windshield wipers (2x20) with straight legs or bent knees, arms to a “T”, keeping shoulders on floor at all times

• Leg raises (2x10)- but keep head on floor!

• Boat with twists side to side, knees bent or straight legs (2x20)

• Plank jacks (2x10)

• Single leg squats - go just as low as you can without losing form (2x10 each leg)

4 Likes

Just finished this core workout. Loved it! My hamstrings are soooo tight that I always have to bend my legs when doing leg raises, windshield wipers and anything similar… I need to work on my flexibility which is non existent :woozy_face:

1 Like

Yay!! First taker! Great job @Covi! It sounds like you do need to stretch those hamstrings… it’s OK to stretch after workouts, just not before.

1 Like

Did this today - appreciated the new challenge!

1 Like

Awesome Alice! I know I still owe you Plyos II…

Did this for the first time today. Oh my. This is what I get for thinking last week that core II had gotten rather easy. I suspect I might be a little sore tomorrow. :grimacing:

1 Like

Yesss!!!

1 Like

Since I am off bike today I did this again. Oy. Couldn’t do the leg lifts since I am still sore from doing them Friday! I like the routine though! :smiley:

Wow i really am behind @Coach_Theia! Looking forward to trying these - it looks similar to pure barre and Pilates but i have a feeling pictures are deceiving - but any suggestion on a swap for the plank jacks? Bad wrist makes those hard some days - i’ll Try them but having a back up is always good for me thanks!

That’s OK, you can still do it even if you are sore… I changed my core routine as well and am also sore… since Friday!!

@PaleGail instead of the plank jacks, you can do a forearm plank and, using towels under your feet, open and close the legs (like the jacks but without jumping) while keeping the rest of the body stable.

2 Likes

When doing the exercises that require 2 sets - should you do a set, pause, and then repeat it? Or do 1 set of all of the exercises, then go back and complete a second set of all exercises?

Hi @NUGirl - do a set, take a short break, then repeat it. Then move on to the next set.

Oofph! Now that my holiday is over I decided to tackle the core III workout last night - every time I moved at my desk today I made a little groan as my abs complained :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Amazing what a few days off a routine do! Glad you are back at it!!

1 Like

We’ve started calling this “hardcore” at my house to distinguish is from the daily core :grin:

3 Likes

Haha I love it @Stefanie

2 Likes

@Coach_Theia on the windscreen washers exercise should I be aiming to get my legs as far to the side as possible (without lifting my shoulders)? My hamstrings are too tight/short to do this straight legged so I go knees bent but wonder if this is compromising my form as my shoulders lift with very little movement

Legs bent is no problem, but if shoulders lift you have to go back up to get the shoulders on the floor. If that means you have fewer than say 5% range if motion, you are not ready for this exercise. You can therefore start with a modified version, as shown in this video:

4 Likes

Fantastic video! Thanks @Coach_Theia that is super helpful, I’m going to try these again and get Hannah to assess my range of movement.
I know I’m never going to reach your level of flexibility but it’s giving me something to strive for.

2 Likes

holy cow, I now realize how inflexible I am! I tweeked my back doing yoga so I only did one set of each of these last night. I really need to follow the strength training better.