Cycling Bibs and Shorts for Women

On the topic of bibs and cycling shorts, I uses Assos for years until I had a bike fit and changed saddles. Now the Assos chamois is too thick and it bothers me. I have been using Vermac, which I absolutely love and has a thinner chamois but oh so comfortable. Of the ones you all mentioned above, which have a chamois on the “thinner” side?

I’ve started wearing my Tri shorts for my more intense Zwift rides/races. For the past 4 years I’ve raced half iron distance tris in Epix. More comfortable on the stationary trainer. I use a specialized mimic saddle.

I’ve also got a pair by rocket science (new company out of Texas, they do have cycling but I didn’t get those). Haven’t raced outdoors but they are great so far on the trainer and my brick runs.

I like my primal shorts and bibs for longer rides and outdoor cycling. I also have a pair of high quality PI that are excellent. PI all depends on the model and fit.

LG aren’t too bad. Have some castelli on order.

Besides the chamois the length is a huge issue for me. Some women’s are too short and some men’s too long and rub the bend of my knee. Always check the length.

Late to the discussion as usual! On my 10 hour ride Saturday, I planned to change shorts 2-3 times as my tush always feels it indoors even on an hour ride. For the first time, I wore my new bib shorts from www.i-ris.cc, mostly thinking if I looked pro I’d feel pro :star_struck: All I can say is, wow! I never had a second of discomfort, and finally decided not to mess with success so never changed to different shorts although did use Zealios chamois creme multiple times. Cannot say enough about how comfortable these bibs are.

1 Like

@hollybw the chamois on those bibs look a lot like the Vermac that I have. I am going to give that a try!

I tend to think Rapha is a more flat chamois, in terms of not a lot of texturing or contouring. Tri stuff would definitely have a thinner chamois. Castelli I feel like has a lot of contouring that causes me problems. Same with Primal. Velocio is in the middle.

1 Like

I have gone through a boatload of shorts and bibs through my years of riding. My favorite bibs have been the Rapha Classic. I have worn mine for about 3 years and now need new ones. I have lost over 20 pounds and they no longer fit. I have worn these on epic mountain bike rides (67 miles in 7 hours), to multi day tours. I do not get hot spots or any irritation from them. Their chamois is on the thinner, flatter side for endurance rides. Like many of you, I buy them on sale. I have a pair of the Rapha cargo shorts, which are nice. I wear them on many medium distance rides.
I have a couple pair of Assos shorts and am finding their padding is too thick. I do use them on the trainer and on medium distance gravel and mountain bike rides. I have a pair of their older bibs that I absolutely love, but are now discontinued.
The top of the line Specialized bibs are Wonderful! They are the SL expert bibs and are part of my in real life race kit. Next to my Rapha classics, these are my next favorite.
I am presently breaking in a couple pairs of primal bibs and shorts and EPIX tri suit.

I am also trying an infinity saddle. After 18 months of sciatica, piriformis syndrome and a torn muscle, I have needed to try something to help me sit evenly. I have put almost 500 miles on it and am in much less pain. I may do a write up of saddles soon.

2 Likes

So I have just started buying up bibs and for trainer rides I am finding the Giro Chrono Metro (or did I get the “Expert?”), is pretty good. The bibs have a “halter” style strap so you don’t have to disrobe to go to the bathroom. I thought it might bother the back of my neck but it doesn’t. I am pretty happy with these bibs. I may have to try the iris ones - - comfy on a 10 hour trainer ride is quite the endorsement!!!

2 Likes

I should also add that I am trying not to draw attention to myself as I am a little uncomfortable with how I look in bike shorts (still trying to lose some weight here), so any super comfy bibs that help with the sleekness factor and are simple looking interest me.

1 Like

I have invested in a pair of the I.R.I.S bibs - - and have not worn yet since the Mediums gave me a little sausage leg. I am awaiting the larges to arrive. Otherwise they are quite flattering (the best “sausage leg” has ever looked LOL) and the magnetic strap thingy is GENIUS. I am keeping the mediums because I am “almost there” so it is something to work towards and cannot wait for the larges to arrive so I can get going on the longer zwift courses.

I also invested in a pair of Coeur Lisse Elite Bib Shorts…OMG. These are hands down the most flattering shorts ever and the chamois looks identical to the one in the IRIS shorts. I just wore them on a 3 1/2 hour trainer ride and they are awesome. They are about the same price as the IRIS shorts after accounting for the exchange rate. The IRIS’s win for the ability to answer nature’s call without disrobing (and I will report back in a few weeks after I put them to the test on a 3 1/2 - 4 hour trainer ride), but the Coeur’s win for not having sausage leg - - the silicone “grippers” are like a dusting of silicone and they aren’t on a separate piece of fabric so there is no seam encircling the thigh. I literally have never looked this good in bike shorts - -even as compared to when I weighed 25lbs less than I do now.

2 Likes

I’m all set on bibs. Went riding this weekend and while things were open for you to get snacks and drinks, our usual spots did not have any open bathroom facilities. They are even closed in the parks. My limit is 65 miles before I need a pee break. I also noted that I wasn’t drinking as much because I did n’t want to get caught without being able to pee.
Not sure how much longer this will be in place, the bathroom situation. And where we ride, there really isn’t any place to duck into and pee. What a quandry. Any thoughts or suggestions? Signed: my bladder may burst

Haha, I think this says a lot about how rural my area is, but i pee in the forest next to the roads :joy:

2 Likes

@Silje yea not an option. It’s a fairly traveled road. Other roads are PEOPLE’s front yards. Sooooo🤷🏻‍♀️ No porta potties. This is gonna be tough!

So if you can’t find something to screen as well as you would like, have you considered a shenel (I could be spelling it wrong) and a kula cloth? Very popular with the backpacking community.

And like Silje I just find a bush and go. Trails, parks, golf courses, etc., just find some coverage and be quick about it. And watch the splatter and try to angle it away from your feet (we used to camp and hike a lot when I was a child).

I personally didn’t do this but my hash house kennel was running around town and one lady really had to go. So she jumped behind the shrubbery at a Rite aid while the rest of us stood guard increasing the privacy. This was after we had went inside and sang to the pharmacist who was a friend of one of the hashers. :slight_smile:

I have not used this, but here’s an idea:

Back in the day, I used to just pull one leg of my shorts aside while squatting.

@CandaceC this is weird yet awesome! Thanks.

There is a way to pee without pulling down your shorts or needing a device. You have to pull up one of the legs of your shorts and then stretch it out to create a big enough opening and then sort of half squat. I can’t describe it but @Coach_Theia knows what I am talking about. I think there might be a demo illustration somewhere but I can’t find it. Anyway, it does work. But you will probably want to practice in the bathtub a bit before taking it on the road as it’s tricky and doesn’t work with all shorts.

Oh yeah!!! My favorite way of “going” while on a ride!

2 Likes

Love it. As someone who physically cannot even pee while swimming and has definitely never peed on the bike like other triathletes, I am unsure if I will be able to execute this but will give it a try :wink:

Just thought I would mention that the site that has my favorite tri shorts and now my favorite bibs - - both of which are very flattering with zero sausage leg (I wear the longer inseam on the tri shorts)- - is having a memorial day sale - - 30% off everything on their site including the items in the “little black” collection which is what I love. The code which may also be posted on the site (it is not exclusive) is STARSANDSTRIPES30. If you google Coeur sports you should find it.

2 Likes

I need all the help I can get on the sausage leg front, for sure! Thx for the code, @reservoircat!
-Angie

1 Like

OMG Angie - - you do not have sausage leg. Lol.