Do we really need sodium for exercise?

I started to dig in a bit about the role of sodium for exercise, because my daughter will only drink pure water no matter what. She trains 2.5-4hs/day and has multi-day swim meets with prelims (AM) and finals (PM) sessions that last hours on end.

The posts below looked at studies on the topic and, in summary, sodium in the water bottle might not seem as important as we make it to be. At a minimum, it evokes some thinking and questioning.

From personal experience, I like having sodium + glucose as the osmolarity of that combo helps shuttle the water out of the stomach and it prevents the feeling of having a water balloon in my stomach. This effect is supported by research.

Another personal experience is that I feel sodium helps on very hot days/environments. But I wonder how much of this is anecdotal?

Thoughts?

3 Likes

Super interesting. I’m actually glad to read these. Like you daughter @Coach_Theia I much prefer to drink just plain water. But I’ve made myself drink electrolyte drinks because I thought I was supposed to even though they upset my stomach at some point during a long ride. At that point I stop drinking them and just drink plain water and always feel much better but then I always end up worrying about not drinking them. Seems like I don’t need to force myself to drink them anymore? That comes as a relief.

2 Likes

I would agree @Stefanie . No need to force it and do what feels good. If your body is low on sodium, you will crave more salt in your food.

2 Likes

I’d think some people get enough from their food as well. Could sweat rate impact it as well?

I have been using one bottle with electrolytes and one with plain water. Trying to keep my stomach and bladder a neutral environment.

Thanks for the info.

2 Likes

I haven’t read the articles yet but I do prefer a little electrolyte with some energy comb, if I forget and have just plain water for the bike it doesn’t feel right. I’m good with water for pure barre but if I have extra in a bottle from the bike will take it and just add more water
I’m not a heavy sweater so? :rofl: but mentally I need the hydration
I’m a Skratch fan and their new everyday hydration I’m trying to use to keep me taking in more water

2 Likes

i’ve lately using one bottle of electrolytes (tailwind) in my bottle and the other with water. I’m trying to keep my bladder less acidic and it seems to be helping. I too get tired of plain wtar too @PaleGail but for now this is what I have to drink. I so miss my coffee.

1 Like

Riding I usually do 2 different mixes and flavors, usually LMNT and something else. I tend to drink mainly water throughout the day but having something with flavor encourages me to drink more. If it’s really hot I’ll grab a cold water.
Ice Hockey used to be only water but I’ve also started adding something with flavor to the bottle (it’s a 24oz do anything is watered down). I find I drink I drink more and don’t feel as fatigued and I have less leg cramps at night.
Running I either mix my own electrolytes or if I’m relying on the course I grab 1 each and dilute the drink.

I’m a salty sweater and my kits always have a white line. Too much water and not enough electrolytes and i can feel it.

2 Likes

@vivian.a.workman same here. Having electrolytes and some mild flavor helps me drink more and I feel better.

I received samples of the LMNT. Do they take the place of regular electrolyte supplements or are they just for high sweat times?

I use them instead of a calorie drink for hour workouts. Or post workout zone 2 run like today as it’s a bit humid outside, I already had breakfast and will have lunch in a few hours.

1 Like

Interesting. I think it helps. I used to get nausea on very hot days even drinking what I thought was enough water (i suppose somehow dehydrated) a fellow cyclist suggested that the water (with some electrolytes – i love Skratch powder) wasn’t enough and i probably needed salt – i got salt stick pills and they knocked it right out. I now take salt stick electrolyte chews along and when i feel nausea coming on i take them - always works. I also use lmnt more now especially since they don’t have sugar and i’m pre diabetic so want to be careful. I’m a salty sweater so maybe that’s why. I agree having flavor in the water makes me more likely to drink up

2 Likes

I tried the LMNT and I found them too sweet or too salty. I couldn’t stomach them. I can only do Tailwind. So strange.

I will sometimes water them down just to have flavor as I get tired of water but then I’m told, electrolytes are bladder irritants so I sometimes feel trapped knowing what to do.

Do you not need carbs for the hour workouts? Or is the sodium enough for you? Do any of the LMNT products have carbs? Maybe @Coach_Theia can get us a team discount for LMNT. :grin: