Healthy snacks for non ride days

What do people reach for when they need a snack? I’m struggling to find options that are gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free. I’ll often reach for an apple but have been advised to restrict my fruit intake to 2 portions maximum per day to alleviate gut issues. If I make banana flap jacks I struggle not to eat lots of them, so clearly there are some self control issues to overcome as well :woozy_face:

Homemade trail mix with nuts, seeds and dried fruit is great. Chia pudding is good too. Carrots and hummus. Raw carrot cake bites No-Bake Carrot Cake Bites | Minimalist Baker Recipes Haven’t tried these yet but I plan on it soon. Sometimes I make a flourless English muffin, toast it up and then put a nut or seed butter on it or homemade pumpkin or sweet potato butter Low Calorie English Muffin s (88 Calories!) - The Big Man's World ® You could probably do non-dairy cheese and avocado and black beans on it too if you are in the mood for savory. There’s also air popped popcorn (no butter) with nutritional yeast (pulverize it in a spice or coffee grinder and it sticks great)

2 Likes

Fantastic, thanks @Stefanie - I’ve only ever used nutritional yeast in pasta sauce… will give it a go on some popcorn tomorrow :grin: I’ll take a look at those links as well :+1:

Great ideas from Stefanie! Something portable and easy I always have at home is RX Bars, although there are dates in it (https://www.amazon.co.uk/RxBar-Protein-Chocolate-Salt-Bars/dp/B00MOM3XK6?th=1)

Here are a few more ideas:

• Apples with almond butter and cinnamon, but you could also do celery with almond butter or peanut butter
  • Hard boiled eggs
  • Avocado dip or guacamole on GF toast
  • 1/2 cup of GF oatmeal (I buy plain that can be microwaved with water) with cinnamon, hint of honey and a thumb size portion of almond butter mixed in
  • Rice cakes topped with a thin layer of guac and a slice of turkey breast
2 Likes

@Coach_Theia is Guacamole actually healthy? I always thought yes but a friend told me that it contains a lot of lactose/cheese or related ingredients. Maybe better to do it at home?

Hi Marianna, I think you already know the answer based on your question - it depends on the ingredients. I buy store-made guacamole that has only onions, vinegar, salt, and garlic. I don’t think I ever had guacamole with cheese, for example.

Nevertheless, cheese is fine as long as it is not processed- just need to be mindful of the fact that adding cheese to avocados makes for a caloric-dense food. Similarly, cheese- and lactose for that matter- are also fine unless the person has some form of allergy, intolerance or sensitivity. Moderation is key. Although a lot has been said about dairy causing inflammation on the body, it is not as much as a villain as many people think.

A good guacamole does not need to have more than avocados and spices, and some onions and tomatoes if you like those. Some guacamole from restaurants are very high in sodium, but as long as you are not eating the restaurant guacamole frequently, it’s fine.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

@mariannamarcucci homemade guacamole is awesome and super easy - I generally just mash avocado, a sprinkle is smoked sea salt, a dash of tobasco and some lime juice :grin:

3 Likes

Thank you, yes, the anwer is always thé ingredients! I love guacamole but I didn’t know some add lactose to the recipe. I should pay attention before buying it

@Michelle Great! I need to try your recipe! Thank you!

I love guacamole, but all I do is smash up an avocado with salt and lemon juice. I don’t like onions, although chopped tomatoes would probably be good. I like to eat it with pretzels, which are neither low carb nor gluten free, but so be it.

Nothing wrong with high carb and gluten! It’s all about context, food sensitivities, and overall balance.

1 Like

I’m a sucker for baked goods. Muffins, scones…mmmmm. Found these at Trader Joe’s and I love them. Looks like they might even be healthy?

1 Like

I picked up the Cook Fast, Run Fast, Eat Slow cookbook a while back and those muffins look really similar. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This looks pretty good @NUGirl! Glad they did not add oils. Agave, maple syrup and sugar is a triple sugar-hit, but if you are consuming these around the time of your intensity workouts, it’s fine :grinning: