Heart rate monitors

Hi can I ask which heart rate monitors you all use and which is easiest to set up? Would you advise I get one? Thanks

I have a Wahoo Tickr. I’ve had the same one for 4 years and have never had any problems with it.

2 Likes

I have Wahoos also and prefer them over Garmin. I have the chest strap for when I ride outside and the arm band for indoors. Love both!

2 Likes

another vote for the wahoo arm band. I’ve had mine for nearly 4 years as well and I love love love it. It’s so easy to use and super accurate. I wore it to my stress test at my cardiologists and the data matched exactly to their fancy machine. You have to make sure to put it up on your arm by the elbow for best results :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I also use the wahoo. Had a garmin and it just wasn’t that good. Used a timex for years but it finally gave up the ghost. I like that the wahoo is dual channel so my laptop connects to it via ant+ (along with my trainer) and it also connects to my watch via Bluetooth (along with my pedals).

2 Likes

I have a Wahoo Tickr, but I never use it because I don’t find it as comfortable as the Garmin Tri. I am on my second Garmin Tri, though, so maybe it isn’t as durable. For indoor training, I wear Polar OH1, which is also comfortable. I bought because DC Rainmaker said it was very accurate. It’s rechargeable, and only lasts about 10 hours, but that’s fine for indoor workouts.

1 Like

I use a Garmin for outdoor and Coontz for indoor. I have not had to replace either one and have been using them both for a few years. Lots of miles and workouts and sweating.

1 Like

Okay, I can’t take it, anymore. In the last week, my Garmin Fenix 5 watch barely registers a ride in my HR, so I have to abandon it.

Q1 - Anyone have success with the optional HR accuracy? Garmin 935? Not Garmin? I’d like to use it for outdoors.

Q2 - Where did you ladies buy your Wahoo arm bands? I am totally getting one for Zwift. On Sunday’s ride, I think @Coach_Theia, @kgross33 said they have them.

Thanks! -Angie

1 Like

@adm0629 I get mine from the Wahoo website

1 Like

I bought mine on Amazon @adm0629
It works great with my garmin cycling computer AND my wahoo trainer!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GRMFSN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

I have used garmin watches forever and love them. Currently I have the Forerunner 945 and the wrist HR has been pretty accurate for me. For zwift I broadcast the HR from my watch into the screen (via Bluetooth) and works very well.

1 Like

I just don’t know why my Fenix 5 hates me! :sob:

Have you tried a factory reset Angie?

I have not! I literally have zero to lose. Doing it tonight! Thank you!

1 Like

I had a 935 that worked fine, even after the resin on the back cracked. I currently have a Fenix 6S, whose battery mysteriously started lasting about half as long last fall (now 3-4 days). In either case, I think the HR reads a bit lower than a chest or arm strap. I have a very small wrist, and I think those big watches just can’t stay in contact.

1 Like

Okay, I reset my Fenix 5 and It definitely is no better. Part of the rationale for outlaying so much money for the F5 was because it would double as a heart rate monitor. Anyone remember the beginning days of the Garmin GPS watches that were beastly and was not passable as as a regular watch? Anyway, it seems the 945 is in favor in the Zwift Runners group, as well. Do I splurge for the 945 and resell the F5 for cheap or do I keep the F5 as a nice looking wrist watch and just tack on the Wahoo wrist HRM? Besides the obvious cost differences, can anyone point out the pros/cons or have an opinion? Thanks!
-Angie

Just to make sure… the Wahoo is forearm, not wrist. I have the forearm one for indoors but use Wahoo chest strap for outdoors. Both are super comfortable. My previous Garmin chest strap was annoying. No opinions on the wrist/watches.

1 Like

If I were you, I would keep the F5 and add the HR monitor independently for when you need it. I love the activity tracking and accuracy of the 945 but it’s still humongous and very manly looking…

I also think that Garmin will come up with something new… the forerunner 945 was released in April of 2019 and they release new version of the watches every 2 years or so. So might be worth waiting a little bit. If there’s a new version, the price of the 945 will drop…

1 Like

@Coach_Theia, @kgross33, and anyone else using the Wahoo Tickr forearm HRM - where do you place it, exactly? Do you have problems with it? I have tried different locations, up and down my forearm (along the line of the radial artery - phlebotomy was part of my occupation out of college), and it constantly has drops and will not go longer than one workout, fully charged. Did I get a lemon?
-Angie

@adm0629 ohno! I put mine on the inside of my wrist. The Velcro really keeps it snug against my arm without it feeling too tight. My battery lasts at least a few weeks. No drops for me either. How close are you to the ant/blu? If it’s fairly new, I would see if you can return it for another one. I got mine on Amazon.

Also, have you experienced zwift dropping signal to the game and just stops working in the middle of an interval. Has that happened to anyone else? Not sure if it’s my wifi or the trainer?