I feel lost, send help!

Hi everyone,
I’m feeling kind of lost with myself and cycling right now. Does anyone else feel that way? My races up here have all been cancelled. My training peaked back in May. I’ve hit some major milestones on Zwift and I can’t really half-ass any new goals because I just won’t do them, so I’m having issues as to setting new goals and such.
I feel like I need a total cycling reboot. (It probably doesn’t help that I’ve been home for so long now either)
Send help!
Kiersten

3 Likes

@medic7404, my last event has been cancelled and I took it off my Training Peaks. TP keeps asking me toput in an evet. I guess look for virtual events, Zwift events, or make an event with friends and compete amongst yourselves?
So many are in the same boat. What are we even training for? OR kust enjoy this time to explore new roads.

3 Likes

I’ve had pretty much everything cancelled since March: Alcatraz, scenic mountain, Barrelman, CDR, etc.

It’s tough but what I’ve been doing is a lot of free and low cost virtual challenges. Then finding creative ways to push myself.

One I’m now doing a double is the virtual deca. With the pools closed March-May I had to do other things in lieu of swimming. I got a balance board and practiced stick handling.

Maybe it’s a segment you want to crush, a distance you want to ride. These are achievable goals this year.

3 Likes

I have run the gamut with Zwift goals, literally
level 50 - check
all zwift route badges for cycling (including france)-check
working on the running ones-in progress though mostly walking
several virtual events complete USAC series, BREK Epic, Haute route, random group rides, and special events etc etc
Its very hard to ride outside these days,(mostly because of the family) though I get out when I can
Maybe im actually burned out?? that’s why I feel like I need a reboot.

5 Likes

@medic7404 maybe you are and need to find something else for a bit or take a week off. Ride to just ride like when you were a kid. No HR no power no computer. Just ride. Or run or paddle. No goal.

5 Likes

I know how you feel @medic7404! I was there back in April and that’s how I ended up doing my own personal vRAW in June. There was one event that is usually in May that was postponed until September but I got an email Friday saying it wasn’t going to happen. And I can’t do any long outdoor rides because all the park bathrooms and drinking fountains are closed. So it really sucks. But maybe you are burned out? Maybe take some time to just do some fun riding and think about your whys?

4 Likes

I feel you Kiersten, all of my events were cancelled and then my cycling holiday got canned as well. Add to that some stomach issues and I totally fell out of love with cycling - it was all such an effort and didn’t give me the usual spark.
I’ve taken a couple of weeks off, went on holiday (stayed here in the UK but away from London) and put zero pressure on myself to ride. We did have a few days out on the mountain bike trails but the best days were kayaking. Paddling down a river or canal, having time to watch the world go by, spotting wildlife and generally enjoying the peace and quiet. I felt totally relaxed and at ease with myself.
I’m hoping this break away from cycling is all I needed and I’ll be able to pick back up; Time away from the bike can be a great healer but I’m not going to set any goals, just going to float along and see where the flow takes me.
I hope you can find a distraction, something to relax with and help you rediscover your cycling mojo

4 Likes

What if you just took it easy, participated in a few low effort group events or mixed it up with some crit racing, until Zwift Academy rolls around and make some tangible goals with that program? Just a thought. Decompress, have a little fun, come back with a vengeance. :wink:
-Angie

4 Likes

The academy is for sure on my radar. But I have found the workouts are now more for testing strengths/ weaknesses as opposed to making me better. And I will probably get into a training program when that’s done heading towards fall/ winter. Which is almost crazy to say already!!

3 Likes

Glad you’ve gotten a nice rest and had some fun! Hopefully you’re love for it will return.

3 Likes

People are different, motivation is different but I find almost all the things you mention with levelse, tours, badges etc to be external goals. Me, I also need to have some internal motivation that doesnt lead to anything else but me doing a ride or a workout. I can feel content and happy with just doing a workout. It doesnt have to be visible on strava even, as long as i have it logged for myself in Trainingpeaks. I know you said its hard to get out and ride, but thats one of the things I do when I just need to reboot; ride new places, ride a circuit the opposite direction. Stop and sit down for 10 minutes when out on a ride…I try to find the value in the ride in itself, not for what it may or may not lead up to (this world is sometimes to focused on gains/increase/better/faster/more)

6 Likes

Sometimes I find that I just have to ignore those kinds of thoughts. Feelings arent facts.

3 Likes

My brother sent me an article this morning from bike radar about overtraining, and I think it hit the nail on the head for me. I wasn’t really thinking “over training“, I just kept telling myself well if I was able to do “X” (miles, speed, distance, etc) the last few weeks I should be able to do it now. Thank you for all of your input everyone. it’s time to step back and see where to go from here.

6 Likes

Great insights here… @medic7404 that makes sense. Sounds like you need a physical and (perhaps even more) a mental break.

I am very much like @Silje in that I am perfectly happy conquering a hard workout. But I still need variation from time to time. I joined a local IRL racing team this year and had a full road and cross season planned out just to have it go all away, like everyone else.

So I am focusing on things that take time to implement and am experimenting without the fear of “losing form” or “not being ready” for an event. In particular, I decided to make 2020 the year of strength. The year I hired a strength coach and started lifting heavy for bone health, lean mass, and of course, strength on the bike. I get sore all the time, but that doesn’t bother me because, again, I can afford to feel that way.

It’s also the year I am jumping on eRacing just for fun, and am experimenting with moves and attacks for the sake of learning instead of winning. It’s fun to do something crazy to see if it sticks!!! LOL

Some people need a training program to keep them on track/feeling accomplished while helping them not over do it. Sometimes it’s easy to fall in the trap of doing too much/going too hard or “moderately hard” all the time.

And lastly, I know I am the Coach, but I benefit so much from being a part of the 360 VELO community. These days it seems to me like every FB Group, every IG post, every media article, etc. is a place of anxiety for me. I have distanced myself from these as much as possible, and feel like I am breathing clean, fresh air when I read and post in this forum.

11 Likes

This post really resonated with me too. Coach knows I have been letting work get the better of me and not doing much during the week and then doing outdoor rides during the weekend. I have lost fitness and I need to just focus on getting back into a routine. I have lowered my FTP so that I can more easily finish workouts since I need that ego boost now and don’t want to dread the workouts. So I have proper motivation when I am not riding outside in fall and winter, I am thinking for now that Zwift rides be limited to no more than an hour (more if weather is bad and I have to ride indoors). So two to three scheduled Zwift WOs a week and some core work and try to get back into my walk / run routine (it will be mostly walk), since the ribs are definitely healed to the point where I can do that again.

For me the goal will be really hyper focused on diet and sleep and a thing we should all be doing is being kind to ourselves - - cut out anyone or anything on social media that makes you feel bad or inadequate and just focus on taking care of your self. That is my “challenge” right now. A secondary challenge is trying to move up the rankings in Strava segments - - unfortunately for me I am generally the slowest out of everyone I follow on every Segment so getting “closer” to everyone else is fun :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I am feeling the same way. I had a good break/vacation end of June and did a ‘goal’ outdoor ride up and over Mount Bachelor. I now see my friends going out and riding in groups up Hurricane Ridge and other exciting places and that is not within my comfort level. My major ride of the year was to be last Thursday.

Riding reduces the anxiety. I need to do something be it biking, hiking, or anything outdoors even if I have no motivation, otherwise the anxiety gets worse. Even if I don’t feel like it, I make myself get up and move. I know consistency will pay off. I am seeing benefits of all the core work and strength in my biking and running.

6 Likes

Not much else to add to what our awesome teammates have said. We all have different goals but the leveling factor is we all love cycling. Sounds like you need to figure out what a good goal is for you now @medic7404 just be realistic so that it doesn’t turn you off. We’re here for you! Need a ride with others? Need to do a workout with others? Reach out, we’ll set it up! This is a group effort!

4 Likes

I’ve recently discovered those zwift crit races!! Just long enough to go really hard - I’ve used them as FTP tests- and got a bump - so now my workouts are harder and makes it more ——interesting?!?!?
I do totally get what your saying though - mostly everything cancelled here too… soon it will be ski season​:cherry_blossom::cherry_blossom:

4 Likes

Hi @medic7404-
I have gone through the same thing.
I was working with a triathlon coach since I was adding in swimming and running. I needed to cross train due to sciatica and a piriformis injury. Over the past couple months, work got really crazy (I work at a bike shop.)- I am outside and around people all day. The heat and being on my feet for 9 hrs a day was taking its toll. I wasn’t running much due to the heat and it was aggravating my hip.
All my triathlons and races got cancelled and I was starting to burn out from the intense training schedule. I had a talk with both coaches (Amy and Theia) and came up with a new plan.
Know that it’s okay to make changes, try new things or take a break.
-Linda

4 Likes

I want to do the imperial century in early September before the ZA. Then maybe some racing to learn more and suck less at Zwift racing.

3 Likes