IRL Ride for Chicago Area Athletes

Back in 2005, I used to ride out of Frankfort, all of the time. Parked in a parking lot downtown, alongside the Old Plank Road Trail and rode that to Steger and south to the Manteno area. I don’t remember any of the specific routes but I remember Manteno because there used to be a women’s triathlon down there.
-Angie

Frankfort might actually be a great place to ride. Like Elburn, it’s at the edge of the developed area and likely has lots of open roads. Might be a good central location to meet up.

Labor day weekend is frankfort fest and i dont think its been canceled. I think there will be lots more people in the area and cars on the road. Usually that is a very popular festival. Just something to consider.

Are we still planning on Monday?

Yes!!!

I have been thinking about routes, and for Renee to not have to drive more than 90 min all I can come up with is the North Shore - from Evanston going north to Highland Park/Lake Forest/Libertyville, etc. depending on how long we want to ride. I know the area really well and all potential stops along the way. I am not familiar with any other routes (well I know a route in Barrington but that’s going to be far).

Please let me know what you all think!! We could meet at the Starbucks at Plaza del Lago and head north on Sheridan. @NUGirl and @reservoircat know the route…

2 Likes

That works for me. I am also an expert at one 25 mile loop in Barrington that starts from the High School parking lot since I rode it a bazillion times training for IMMT in 2012…but that route also has one section that is very short but also stressful due to traffic and I still haven’t gotten the little ring issue on my bike fixed so I would prefer not to ride in Barrington! I’ve ridden from Plaza Del Lago a few times this summer so that works. Rides outside of the Plainfield area also work just because you are quickly in farmland and on a grid so you can wing it and then set your garmin to take you home pretty easily. and I have found the riding from Plainfield towards the Fox River and back to be pretty fantastic with some subtle rollers.

1 Like

I know I’m behind on here but i am totally in for Monday -just remember this will be my first IRL this year :pensive:. Dont judge me

So my burning questions are:

• where do we meet - which i think is per @Coach_Theia note at the starbucks
  • what is our distance - i need to plan my full weekend of IRL (now) and Zwift
  • are there places to fill water and use facilities? I admit, this is my biggest concern :woman_shrugging:t3: I will drive however far i need to as long as i can you know when we get there - i cannot do @Coach_Theia‘s method especially now that i am into using bibs and not just bike shorts :joy:
1 Like

Oh and is it okay that i haven’t don’t the IRL like the rest of you? I don’t want to hold you back from a longer ride because I’m along

1 Like

@PaleGail we will have “real” stops for refills, with proper facilities! Regarding distance, I was thinking more in terms of time. How is 2 hours? Gail, don’t worry, we will all ride together at a pace that you feel is comfortable. It’s a social ride not a training one - although I am happy to give you intervals anytime along the route :rofl: no really, we could practice some skills at Fort Sheridan! It’s a quiet neighborhood loop, about 1 mile long.

@reservoircat do you have the route file for Plainfield that you can share with me? Do you know places we could use for stops along the route?

2 Likes

Having not ridden outside yet won’t impact you as much as you think it will. You’ve been working hard on Zwift, you will be fine. Your bike might feel a little “odd” at first as it always does that first non-trainer ride of the season. I would suggest finding someplace where you can toodle for about five or ten min just to make sure everything is in good working order ahead of time however - - make it a dry run for riding outside. You never know what “obvious” thing you might forget. For me last week it was a multi tool which luckily one of my compatriots had so I could put one of the screws back in my cleat (luckily it came out during a rest stop!)

1 Like

I can share two GPX files with you - - are you on Ride with GPS? The Plainfield rides all have a bathroom or port-o-let at the start but nothing else other than a questionable gas station that I didn’t use because no one who went in was wearing a mask…and I actually have a cast iron bladder and have dialed in my sweat rate / fluid intake for long rides during hot weather so I am able to hold it in for up to four hours LOL…those routes actually do not have any stops other than corn fields so probably not good choices for this ride. During cooler temps I have to rethink them as well because my sweat rate will change and then I will have to get off the bike and find a nice secluded tree or shrubbery if the corn fields are gone. I like the idea of riding in an area where you are an expert. I also like riding up there because there are generally so many cyclists that drivers are pretty careful nowadays.

1 Like

Alright! Let’s do the North Shore ride then!! You are right, the route has lots of cyclists and some good coffee shops. So let’s plan to meet at the Starbucks (link above). Just let me know the time. @Reneea2002 and @NUGirl you two have the longest drive, so what time would be a good start time for you?

1 Like

How about 10am?

1 Like

I can make it by 10! Do we get to go to Tala?!?

1 Like

Yes, we can go to Tala! We can also go to Perfect Blend in Highland Park with an nice variety of pastries :yum: although I am afraid they don’t have bathrooms…

2 Likes

Wish I lived closer… post some pictures after the ride and have lots of fun!!

1 Like

What is Tala?

An independent coffee store that has amazing baked goods and coffee. Best Pumpkin Spice Latte I have ever had - made with real pumpkin purée and spices.

3 Likes

I’m afraid bathrooms are vital! Looks like a great place, though.

1 Like

Sorry all! Been a crazy week and i turned off email notifications so I’m still getting used to remembering to check the forum in my browser :woman_facepalming:t3: Just give me the official show up where at what time - I’m cool with 2 hrs - i was just trying to figure out what else to ride/not ride this weekend with it being Rapha 100k and maybe a race on Saturday - i need to work on my FOMO

1 Like