Plan around Zwift Academy

Thanks Theia!!
@Gossimrr adventure and looking for better quality of life brought us to Utah. I lived in NYC for 14 years and was ready for a little less hectic life :slight_smile: Too bad we didn’t meet before I moved. It would have been great meeting you and riding with you!
If anyone comes to SLC, let me know!! :running_woman:t2::biking_woman::woman_climbing:t2::mountain_biking_woman::skier:

@Covi that sounds amazing. I’m tired of NYC but am so chicken to leave. Maybe one day. Or if I hit it big I can keep a small one bedroom here and a place somewhere else. :woman_shrugging:t2::crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

Do it! Best move I’ve made, although it was for a job. But the change is pace is so refreshing.

1 Like

Hi All- looks like ZA will start in October this year. I’ll be leading a social ride every Friday at 10:00 AM Chicago time.

8 Likes

I’m the 8pm/5pst group lead.

6 Likes

I am still very confused as to what this is and if it is something I need to be involved in? Yes I am relatively new to Zwift.

@bkolden in a nutshell, you do not have to be involved. You may if you wish. The topic comes up here because I help athletes who want to continue to train but participate in ZA also, so I guide them on how to incorporate everything.

Zwift Academy is a Talent ID program, a program designed to find the next Pro cyclist for the Canyon SRAM Team. So the workouts are designed as “tests” to extract performances that will help the coaches/judges chose the contenders. The 3 finalists attend a live training camp where the final decision is made.

However, Zwift also uses ZA as a way to engage with the community and as such it is open to all and anyone wishing to participate. They also add social rides and races to engage the community.

My thoughts as a Coach on the actual program from a training perspective are above on this thread.

I did Zwift Academy in 2018 and 2019, before I was in 360VELO. It gave me some motivation, and I really enjoyed the group rides. The things I do for virtual kits! :wink: Now that I’m in 360VELO, I will probably just do some of the group rides this year, and skip ZA workouts. (Theia’s are better!)

1 Like

I certainly don’t need to try to be selected for anything other than a turtle team!! hehe. But can I do the social rides with you guys without signing up for the academy?

Yes, all the group rides and events will be added to the Companion app and available to all Zwift subscribers, just like their other events. They’ll have 2-3 social rides/day.

1 Like

I did a few of the races and was the ride lead for the Wednesday social sub 1.5 last year and a similar ride the year before. Picked the TUesday 8pm eastern slot for the 1.2-1.7 ride. I can lead the faster group but what I found leading the lower groups (I specifically lobbied for them) is there is a need in the community for inclusive, easier and fun rides. Rides where newbies feel they belong or those recovering from injury.

We even had a Spotify playlist for it. :grin:

It’s a good way for me to add mileage and I’m a chatty ride lead to begin with.

4 Likes

Maybe I’ll look for your rides. I usually am in bed by then but would make an exception to ride with your group!

I agree with you. @CandaceC

1 Like

Thank you @CandaceC and @kellynoelharman!

1 Like

I’ve done the ZA for the last 2 years to engage with the Zwift community and signed up to be a ride leader with one of my Revo Teammates. I am 58 years old with 0 chance of being a pro contract contender. I took a “long view” of the ZA in 2019 and made it fit with my life and goals. You could easily complete the ZA for the personal accomplishment. My main goal for September is to increase saddle time to nab the imperial 100 (and finish my 3rd ZA).

3 Likes

Similar for me. I originally signed up to lead one of the first lower pace groups as I felt there was a need. Back to dad for year 3, and I do like the challenge of completing it 4 in a row.

3 Likes

I am thinking about signing up for ZA this year. I’ve never done it and would like to see what’s all about.

3 Likes

You should try it @Marmen21!! @Coach_Theia will tell us which of the ZA WOs to swap in each week for one of hers so w’re not overtraining. Ignore the ladies that think its cool to completely ZA in a few days. Its over 8 weeks for a reason.

1 Like

The group rides are my favorite part of ZA. Free access to Training Peaks for 8 weeks is kind of interesting. And, of course, a virtual jersey. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hello everyone! Silly question re: Zwift academy. There are 8 workouts and 4 group rides. I am not seeing group rides in the event calendar, just the workouts. When are those? Or can you do any group ride and counts towards the goal? Thank you!