USA Cycling Race League in Zwift

Congrats to both of you @Coach_Theia and @vivian.a.workman! Outstanding efforts!

Thanks @Peter!

Go ladies, go!!! :partying_face: congrats!

Great work @Coach_Theia!

Out of curiosity, how did the sprint play out? A trick is to be just on the wheel of a girl or two, then crush it the very last meters (explode) What you do then is to use them to draft of as long as possible and then have some energy to do a kick. It doesnt always work but could be something to try the next time. We should have sprint draft and sprint tactics on a meet up :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Silje I mistakenly used this very tactic on an uphill sprint and the draft did not help me. I should have been 2nd or 3rd wheel and I was 9th as I started the sprint.

Mine was there were 2 of us (we dropped the 3rd at the last left turn) and she got the jump on me, was lighter and pushed more w/kg. She let up right at the end and had I seen that I maybe could have taken another hard stroke or so to pass her.

1 Like

Congrats @Coach_Theia so proud of you!!!
@vivian.a.workman you’re been doing awesome also!!!
I did a Tour for All race tonight and because i remembered several of you talking about the sandbagging, i kept an eye on who signed up. Going in it looked like there were a couple of real Cat C’s so i told myself to ignore them if they flew out of the start. In the end, there was only 1 true C (and since i looked her up and she’s done >300 races, i struggle to think she signed up in D by mistake) she flew off and then there were 5 of us that were together for the race. I tried not to use all my energy at the begining. I ended up 3rd - had i punched the last sprint a bit more, I might’ve had 2nd but I’m very happy - i have so much to learn about racing and at the end of the day, its mostly me challenging me, although yes, i do like to win like most of us do. I tried to keep the things we’ve all talked about, including what @dfriestedt mentioned earlier this week in my head but need to practice that a bit more

3 Likes

I just checked Zwift Power and it bumped the sandbagger up to Cat C so now i got 2nd :rofl: I’m laughing because yes I’m competitive - at least she didn’t get DQ’d it just automatically moved her up.

5 Likes

Just seeing this @PaleGail yeah!!! :muscle: awesome result!

I finally won my first USAC virtual race last week (finally did the sprint right and attacked from 10+ seconds behind the leader who had opened a gap with 1 mile to go). It felt good! I missed the race today though, for several reasons. I was feeling a little mental burnout from racing and all the challenges of homeschooling as we approach the final 10 days of the school year. In addition, my legs were tired… and we are replacing the deck so it’s chaos in the house.

@vivian.a.workman let us know how it goes for you and all the heat. Crush it!

3 Likes

Race went well, I took first.

I wasn’t looking forward to this course being a heavier rider the climbs can break it for me so I’ve got to be smart. For some reason there was a slight pause at the start and I jumped out in first. I had decided to treat the first 20’ or so as a TT as the flats play into my watt to weight advantage. Holding consistent Pierre here I was able to develop a gap over riders putting out higher w/kg. Honestly I was surprised that I was able to build the lead as much and as quickly as I did. Usually I’m hanging on to the draft.

Backed off just a bit, surfing the rollers until I hit the volcano climb. Controlled my watts in the Z4 range and picked up speed on the flatter sections. I started the climb almost 2am ahead of the next rider (a cat C down in the D according to Zwift power) and hit the top 1:06 ahead. Relaxed a bit on the downhill, keeping speed with surges and I ended up 2:30 ahead. At this point she dropped. So I hit the reverse KOM over 6’ ahead of the next rider and just relaxed.

I did notice I don’t push my hr as high as a lot of others. Maybe it’s an endurance thing as I rarely get into the 160’s during my events until the run.

Anyway I was happy with the result as I’ve been pretty good with my running for the GVRAT and am close to 120 running miles for the month (a big jump so a lot of this is walking). There is definitely some fatigue in my legs but they seem to be responding well.

8 Likes

Wow, way to crush it @vivian.a.workman!!!

Congratulations @vivian.a.workman! Fantastic racing! :muscle:

Way to go @vivian.a.workman! Love reading the race report.

@vivian.a.workman I saw the results on the REVO page. I was so excited for you! Bravo.

@PaleGail hooray for you too.

Great results! You guys are rocking it!

Wow! Congratulations @vivian.a.workman! Just goes to show what hard work and sound strategy can do for you. Really enjoyed reading your race report.

1 Like

Congratulations on your podium @PaleGail!

2 Likes

Congrats @vivian.a.workman!! Awesome race!!
@Coach_Theia sorry you couldn’t do your race this week - sometimes life just gets in the way. You’re still in great shape in the overall standings!
So fun to see us All hitting our goals!

Today’s race was pretty silly. The course was Richmond flat with Libby Hill as the finish line (Libby Hill After Party). As you can see from my graph below, I spent the whole race in my medium zones (around 70%-80% of FTP) and then did a 2 min effort up Libby and finished in 3rd. Thinking about the colors that Zwift uses, I spent the whole race in the blue and with just a little green.

If this happens again I am going to throw some mid-race attacks to keep it interesting!!

5 Likes

Yeah it’s pretty much the same as the volcano last week but just one short climb.

The rollercoaster (?) Richmond reverse route is much more interesting as you start with the hills then hit the flats for laps.

1 Like

Not too bad. The flat part plays into my higher wattage as a larger racer. I planned to wait until the 5th lap to make a move but this other racer kept sprinting and dropping back and such. She’s not on ZP but it triggered the one who is to do the same and then I would need to surge to keep the draft. So about 3.5 laps in I did a few quick strokes to break the draft then went into high Z4/z5 for a bit. Got a 20-30” gap and proceeded to settle in to hold Z4 to build up the gap and reduce my HR. Really pushed the climb and held Z6, building. Gasped a bit for air as I pushed thru the banner. Now I just need to calm down so I can get to sleep at a decent hour

Ate a few non-caffeinated honey stinger chews and drank a bottle of Nuun. Plus there is juniors cheesecake downstairs

6 Likes