Hydration and nutrition for workouts - and some food ideas

Yes and the drink mix looks good. I’m going to order as well. Thank you.

@Stefanie, I have a bunch of brown bananas, dates and maple syrup in the house… could I try one of those recipes?

All those sound good @Stefanie. Pancakes please.

@Marmen21 here’s a couple and they can all be altered to your preferences like more fruit or different kinds of fruit, etc. Most of these get squishy/metly in hot weather:

Vegan Granola Bars with Caramelized Banana & Nuts

@Gossimrr, here is James’s basic cinnamon-raisin pancake recipe. The applesauce is unsweetened. You can also sub in a medium banana for the applesauce. You can also add nuts or seeds or use a different fruit than raisins.

2 C flour
1 T baking powder
1 T cinnamon
1/4 C applesauce
2 C plant milk
a lot of raisins 1 C or more

mix all ingredients
(add water if too thick)
pour about 1/2 C on medium heat griddle
2 minutes per side ( more or less)

4 Likes

As soon as I get oatmilk I’m making these. May omit raisins. But yummm

1 Like

Just made this tonight. Sooo good. I recommend more sauce.

4 Likes

@Luv2bike I received my untapped order. Did I thank you already? They are so good. I got the gingeraid and lemon tea. Both seem to work well. I have tried them on two rides so far. They also added 4 extra samples in my order. Will be ordering the bigger amounts soon. Thanks for the recommendation.

3 Likes

Untapped products are very good. They are made in Vermont and they get the maple syrup from the sugar shacks throughout the state. I find the Ginger a bit too strong for my liking. I love their lemon tea. Another product we get in Vermont are maple sugar rocks. Great for putting in your mouth and letting them dissolve while riding.

I am someone who has to put electrolytes/carbs in my water, especially for hard workouts and racing. I am a salty sweater and get migraines when I get dehydrated. I used to use a lot of skratch but have found tailwind is much easier for me to tolerate.

On long rides, I eat real food as much as possible. I usually carry I bottle of plain water and two of tailwind on long rides. I try to take sips every 15 to 20 minutes and eat every 40 to 60 minutes on rides over 2 hours.
I usually don’t eat with rides under 90 minutes.

I do have to eat and drink before exercising.

Endurance Tap is similar but Canadian. The ginger amount is lighter and they now offer a caffeinated version. I got a soft flask and usually carry something mixed with BCAas on my runs. Less waste and I can consume as much or as little as I want at a time. Very nice when it’s hot.

I tend to use Nuun for shorter workouts (cherry limeade, the new Kona cola is my new fav, or lemon lime). Tried their endurance formula but just not enough calories so I too use tailwind. I like the berry, green tea and cola version but do carry the single serve of a different flavor for long events. Sometime you just need a different taste. Drop in a Nuun tab or 2 and it seems to work well for me. If it’s going to be hot I’ll freeze the bladder or bottle 60-75% full and top off with cold.

There are a variety of ready to go stoop waffels. Personally I like Honey stinger (my BF loves the strawberry ones). They are my go to pre am racing if I don’t want to get up early or need a full breakfast. I also like the nut butters in the single serve packets. Fit in a jersey.

I had emailed the people at Untapped and the guy Tim suggested combining the ginger aid and the lemon tea. It’s actually really yummy. So I did that this weekend.
I can’t do Nuun, I have yet to try Tailwind but have heard good things about it. I try to print real food on most rides. I’m GF and am allergic to almonds and cashews, make my tongue swell. So some of the things out there I can’t do.
I loved that the Untapped did not leave me in a sugar coma the next day.
I love strophe waffles too. Waiting for the GF version.

Where do I get a reusable flask? I’d love to put maple syrup in it.

Honey stinger has gluten free waffels (I have a friend who can’t have gluten and she is a honey stinger ambassador as she can use their products). Their gels are honey.

I use the GU flask (you can get it off amazon). There are a few more out there but that one fits the best in my hydration vest. A friend of mine mixes chia seeds with water honey and lemon to make his own.

Not sure if it’s GF but you might want to check out UCAN. There is also Infinit which you can customize.

THis is great. Thank you very much!

@Gossimrr if you signed up for any Farm to Forks even though they are moved to 2021 I believe you can get a free sample from Untapped - I’m going to order mine now. I just saw it on one of the FtFF FB pages (Hudson Valley) and thought we had talked about it here before.

1 Like

Thanks @PaleGail.

@PaleGail I upgraded and got the $10 box!

1 Like

Same here!! It came really quickly!! I got it wed or thurs - will have to try a few things on the longer workouts this week!!

My husband ate the raspberry waffle and liked it. They are not gf so I won’t eat them but maybe in a pinch!

Honey stinger has GF waffles. I have a friend who reps them (Honey Stinger)because she has celiac and they have a variety of products she can use.

@vivian.a.workman that’s right! I had one once. They are like crack! I should order some!

Big fan of the salted caramel and cinnamon ones.
-Angie