Pictures of food before/during/after workouts, riders and races

Let’s use this thread to share pictures of things we eat before, during, and after our workouts, rides, and races. I believe that having a “visual” helps in many ways, including an idea of portion sizes and the mix of the various types of macros (carbs, protein, etc.). It can also give others ideas of things to eat! There is no judgement on food choices here. I am happy to comment on anything if you have questions. Otherwise, just share a pic!

4 Likes

Lunch after a 1h hard workout: pork, potatoes, mixed vegetables

4 Likes

I’m more concerned about judgements on portion sizes than food choices :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Not judging @Covi ! I only comment if someone asks!!!

Didn’t see this until after I finished lunch post 4 mile run in the heat.

Turkey sandwich on Dave’s power seed thin sliced bread with Colby cheese (1 thin slice), lettuce and mustard. 6” banana and remainder of a Powerade zero water I started yesterday.

I’ll post what I have for my Zwift race tonight and see what’s for dinner afterwards Probably have a peanut butter sandwich Or honey stinger waffle around 6:30-7pm

1 Like

I don’t have a photo, but last night after 820.1.1, I ate 5 (small) slices of homemade pizza, rather than my usual 3.

5 Likes

I’ll post tomorrow for sure. Don’t have my bike today and I wasn’t feeling well since Sunday. I’ve been eating rice for my meals. But am on the upswing. I love seeing what others eat too. @Covi i’m always curious what people think about my food as I don’t eat many things. This is exciting.

1 Like

Breakfast before a workout!
Protein shake

Oatmeal with mix of water/lactosefree milk (my stomach doest like too much lactose) lactose free cottage cheese, half a banana, blueberries and two walnuts crumbled over. Its seriously one of my favorite dishes!

8 Likes

Set up for this evenings USAC race. The pain cave is at 84 degrees (it’s 96 outside) but I do have fans. Had the bar below around 7. ZA bottle is ice water camelback is 1.5 Nuun tropical tabs. Drank both. Ate 2 of the Gatorade chews (one with a minute to go in the pens, one at the start of lap 5, they aren’t too bad and I keep them in the freezer so they are usually cold). Water is easier to wash them down.

Below are other gel options I use as needed (none tonight) The GU and ET both have caffeine so I usually won’t use them at night (I have others downstairs and some roctane beside me).

I hate eating late but I can’t eat before. Dinner tonight will be beef taco salad (black beans, blue corn chips, lettuce, avacado, cheddar and Tapatio). Josh made the seasoning from scratch and also sautéed some onions in with the beef

Traded places with 2nd place until the uphill then sprint leading into lap 7. Almost puked but opened a gap and she couldn’t hang. Fun race.

5 Likes

Post morning walk breakfast (I didn’t want to wait 30’ to eat breakfast first as its already in the 80’s). 1/3 mug of oats topped with cinnamon, sugar and almond milk. Iced coffee (yesterday’s leftover into the fridge). Out of maple syrup right now but I’ll mix it with slivered almonds and berries as an option. I had eaten most of it prior to taking a pic. I’ve found this is a good combo for whatever effort I’m planning or to ward off hunger until lunch.

3 Likes

This is my general breakfast/lunch food prep for weekdays… assembled on Sunday. Breakfast is muesli + kefir + berries. Lunch is layered salad, usually with homemade dressing. I add nuts to the salad right before I eat it, so they don’t get soggy. In addition, I have homemade bread + peanut butter or honey, and fruit.

5 Likes

Today’s post-workout lunch: Spanish rice, roasted brussel sprouts, chicken with pepers

4 Likes

@vivian.a.workman the racer you mentioned is a woman here from Chicago (I think I mentioned that before), and on our Chicago racers group chat she was saying how strong you are and that she considered a huge achievement to be able to hang out with you until you dropped her LOL. Youy are killing it!!

3 Likes

I have not posted any food yet. I am still waiting for my bike to be fixed and I was sick the beginning of the week. I’ve been eating rice and more rice. I finally ate some other food today. So yea, carbon loading for sure.

Oh she’ll be upgraded soon too. I e seen her getting stronger each race. She raced both the afternoon and evening. It was a pleasure being pushed and I know us trading off positions and being so close made it exciting.

Once I got a bit of a lead we chatted a bit about being more endurance than these short crits. Connected on Strava and I see she’s a triathlete and coach.

2 Likes

Please, make all the comments about my food choices. I need all the help I can get. We are still on vacation in Vail, CO. Today, we planned to hike my favorite trail, a steep but short hike with amazing views ( 2.5 hours). However, it was closed. We hiked to Grouse Lake (4.6 miles one way with 2865 ft elevation gain with a more difficult rating). It took 4:53:41. Here is what I ate before. During, I drank 1.5 L of water, ate a min cliff bar, and a Kind bar. After I ate 3rd of this chicken pad thia.
IMG_0479 IMG_0485

2 Likes

Everything looks so yummy Kelly!! I would have devoured the full pad Thai after a 5 hour hike :flushed:.

My husband wasn’t home today so I had to cook my own lunch… as you can see, it was very simple but I love rice and eggs. I was hungry after the top end drills workout this morning.

2 Likes

No pictures today - if I’m doing a first thing am ride like i did 820.1.1 on Tues, i eat a kodiak cake waffle with maple syrup a bit ahead - and i make sure to have a bottle of hydration/energy - yesterday i did my WO in the evening so i did a couple of tbsp of maple syrup before getting on the bike + had a water bottle with hydration/energy and then i had to make diner - for some reason i am always cooking on wed nights - so i made @Stefanie’s carrot ginger soup - I’m more adventurous on the weekends when I have more time

2 Likes

Pre ride was a small smoothie of oatmilk and pea protein and banana. A date during the workout at 45 minutes. Oh and some granola on top. Post workout. Waffle with tofu and fruit

4 Likes

@kellynoelharman how did you feel during the hike? And did you feel hungry during the hike?

My observation is that you were quite low on protein up until you had some chicken with your Pad Thai. Because this was a hike, you could have gone a little lighter on the pancakes and added eggs, for example, for more protein. The Pad Thai looks good, and ideally you had about a palm-size amount of chicken with that, and some vegetables would have been a bonus!