Pictures of food before/during/after workouts, riders and races

I am not the poster child for pre- and post-workout eating today. I did my pure barre first thing this morning then had my protein shake iwth blueberries and kale for breakfast, had some (@Stefanie) carrot and lentil soup for lunch and then a couple tbsp of maple syrup before getting on the bike to do 820.1.3 - felt decent although my power was all over the place - maybe i have no focus still processing losing my little buddy - maybe it’s just the crazy heat even with the fan and the AC running - i had a bottle of Skratch hydration on the bike plus i spread out a serving of Skratch energy chews across the workout - they did help - afterward? Some beer and now i will have some of my cauliflower carrot kale soup that i (sorry vegan friends) add ground turkey to for more protein
tomorrow is another day and i plan to make sausage cauliflower kodiak cake muffin which are great pre-, on and post-bike treats.

2 Likes

I agree with you. I would have added an egg to breakfast at home, and a typical dinner does involve veggies (but Pad Thai is my favorite). The hike’s beginning was very steep, and at 53 minutes, I was not having any fun but pushed through it. At 4.6 miles, I was hungry, and we stopped an ate the kind bar. I was fine on the way down. I have noticed on the Zwift training and TTT that I am starving at 35-50 minutes. I could eat my hand hungry. It is hard for me to eat during TTTs, but I can eat during the workouts’ recovery sections. Is it weird for me to get hungry so early in the rides?

@PaleGail Do you mind sharing the muffin recipe?

1 Like

Not at all!! I’m sure you could use a protein substitute if you’re vegan. I love kodiak cakes and use that often in lieu of flour in recipes

2 Likes

This is my Saturday morning power breakfast before a workout and endurance riding: overnight oatmeal (unsweetened soy milk, oats, peanut butter, hemp seeds, dried dates, molasses, and banana) and a slice of whole wheat toast today with homemade purple sweet potato “butter” (boil potato with some apple until really soft, blend in food processor with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves until smooth and creamy). Oh and coffee of course :grin:

5 Likes

I am way too embarrassed to post food pics. My hubby and I have gotten into some bad nutrition habits that we both need to fix. In discussing post workout food, to me, these portions look rather small for the amount of work you are doing @Coach_Theia? you mentioned eating 20gm of protein and 30gm of carbs after a workout. Is there a resource you could suggest to give me some ideas of exactly what foods and in what amounts I should be eating as a cyclist? I’m ready to get serious about nutrition. I also should lose about 15 pounds. :crazy_face: Not sure how to do that and train without feeling deprived?

Today we did a 257 minute ride to support Ride for the Cause for LBGT AIDS rise. It was hot! Pre ride I have a smoothie with oat milk, banana and pea protein. And Allegra. My stomach felt awful most of the ride. I had two GF energy balls, 7 salt tabs which seemed to help. Midway I had a waffle sandwich with peanut butter and banana. And Arnold Palmer. On the way back a ginger ale GU as my stomach wasn’t right. We stopped at a bakery I had a sip of Coke and 1/2 a Magical cookie. :woman_shrugging:t2: Once home I had fruit and tofu taco meat on a chickpea tortilla.

3 Likes

Tomorrow, we are planning a longer ride, and I am trying to prepare food. Was it 60 carbs before and 30 carbs every 1hr? How much water per hour? (It will be 80’s but in the mountains)

1 Like

Trail race this morning then hit the trails for some additional miles. Very hot and humid, heat index near 100 or over this afternoon Some Nuun during the race and for the afternoon I used tailwind frozen in my pack and also consumed a Gatorade chew pack and gi. Josh had dinner waiting for me when I got home. Orzo with sautéed onions, mushrooms, sour cream (I think) and shredded chicken breast. It was delish.

3 Likes

@kellynoelharman for a long ride, 60-90g of carbs before (with 20g protein) and 60g/carbs each hour. One bottle of water with electrolyte per hour (so about 18 oz).

1 Like

I eat like a horse compared to some of the pictures here, but I guess its just snaps from meals and not the whole picture :smiley:

This was my 2. meal yesterday (I had my oatmeal for breakfast) I had this about 60 minutes before a hard workout. Three slices of my favourite bread. If its something us Scandi people can do it is to make bread, this is from the store but with grains and super soft. We eat open face sandwiches so this is with philadelphia cheese, brown norwegian goat cheese and a little jam, and ham/cheese. I also added some protein and a few cherries and mini cucumbers from the garden :smiley:

And yes I have a close hanger on my table, dont everyone?

ps. I didnt eat all the cherries at once, that would make my stomach go crazy…

6 Likes

Found a great recipe from Outside that we tried last night and left overed today. Miso Maple Grain Bowl. It’s an awesome base recipe you can then make into a savory dinner or sweet breakfast
https://www.outsideonline.com/2273966/crock-pot-secret-weapon

It was so hot here yesterday that using the rice cooker to do this was perfect. We went for savory for dinner and to the base added cubed tofu that had been marinated all day in a James secret sauce. Also added kale and herbs from the CSA box that James didn’t know what they were but it came out tasting amazing.

Today for lunch we turned the leftovers into cabbage rolls. Last night we ate it warm out of the rice cooker, today it was cold wrapped in cabbage and tasted just as good plus had the added yum of the crunchy napa cabbage leaves. I am going to try a fruity version on Friday to fuel up for the Tour de Boudicca stage racing.

3 Likes

Barb, I can give you guidelines, but I would never be able to tell you exactly what foods to eat and the exact amounts, because we are all different - some of us need more, some of us less. The types of food also depend on what tastes good to you, makes you feel energized, and matches your lifestyle. Your nutrition needs to fit in with your habits and tastes, how often you go shopping, food preferences, etc. When I coach people in nutrition, I help them find what works for them. The pictures in this thread give some idea of portion sizes and nutrient combinations. The goal is to eat everything: carbs, protein, fats. A good plate would have those three, and include vegetables.

As an endurance athlete, these are the general guidelines for carbs/day.

From a broader view, this is a nice resource from the United States Olympic Committee Sport Dieticians and the University of Colorado (UCCS) Sport Nutrition Graduate Program - scroll the page to find PDFs with plates for non-training, moderate, and hard training days.

@kellynoelharman You should not feel hungry 35-50 min (or even 1h) into a TTT or workout. That is a sign that you have not eaten enough before the event. And eating during a 60-90 min workout will not fuel that workout (unless it’s a gel, gummies, maple syrup or similar, that absorbs quickly) because your body won’t be able to deliver the nutrients of that food to your muscles in time. So I’d recommend looking at how much and when you are eating before.

@PaleGail yes, that looked like a rather light day on the food side.

Sunday lunch after a 90 min ride with very few efforts. White jasmin (steamed) rice, green and red cabbage, chickpeas, and chicken from a can because I had nothing else.

image image

By the way- I buy most of my food and cook very little. I go to stores like Whole Foods and buy pre-made stuff and then combine everything. I also love buying frozen rice (just plain rice), white and brown, as it takes only 3 minutes to heat it up in the microwave. In addition, I order a couple of meals from Freshly and Factor75 for weekly delivery. Cooking every day or for the whole week is not what I have time to do…

2 Likes

Josh uses a Jamie Oliver recipe for steamed rice and it’s fab.

Tonight he made chicken soup (from mainly scratch ie stock raw chicken and frozen vegetables) in the Ninja foodie. Not sure if it’s noodle or rice but those are usually added later. I was initially upset with his mother for buying it but it’s a versatile piece of cookware. I find we use it 2x per week or more. It’s got the pressure cooker crockpot and air fryer all in one.

1 Like

Oh wow never heard of that… will check it out @vivian.a.workman!

@vivian.a.workman recipe?! I think i could use my instant pot!

Interesting comment as this is kind of normal for me - protein shake in the am (with extra protein i think it gets closer to 40g), lunch is either soup or salad with a protein - cheese is usually my carb with salad - dinner is often soup or protein/veggies - i do limit my pasta/bread although I’ve had way more since SaH and starting to use sourdough starter - of course several times i set myself up for make bread or something else i run out of time :confused: